Thursday, May 29, 2014

Thursdays are for rhubarb


One of my coworkers brought me a rhubarb plant today.  I am so, so excited about this.  I've wanted a rhubarb patch for years.


It spent a good chunk of the day in my car and the sun was a bit intense.  It's sad looking.  My coworker assured me that it's a resilient plant.

She also gave me an oregano plant. ... I forgot to take a picture of that.  We also planted some asparagus roots we got from Menard*s.  Fingers crossed those take.  I want an asparagus patch too.

I did take a photo of my sugar snap peas.


And my pole beans. The little hills on the right contain my cucumber seedlings.


 While the trees were being watered we found a little frog.  Can you see it?  I had a hard time getting a photo of it because it blended in so well.


We cleaned up leaves from the backyard. Nothing too exciting about that. A mess of pine needles got cleaned up as well and now there is a barren-ish patch in the back yard. It will be interesting if the grass comes back.


When I walked back from the woods I caught my son reading out by the chicken coop.  I hope to see more of this come summer.  When school lets out for the year he's not going to be able to play video games much, if at all. TV time will also be restricted.  He already knows this and he is not too happy about it but he knows I won't change my mind.


Earlier in the evening he was hanging with Brewster and he told me how Brewster and Buck are in a war and he's kind of on both sides and wants to help them.  I thought that was sweet, then told him to be cautious around Brewster.  Buck was on the roost tonite when I went out to tuck them in.  I was impressed with him. No more sleeping on the feed bucket for him, I guess.

I felt sorry for the big chickens.  It wasn't terribly warm in the coop but they were doing the wings out and pant thing.  I brought out a fan and put it on them for a bit, drawing cool air from outside.  They started making hooting sounds like monkeys.  My son and I had a good laugh over this.  I'm not sure if the fan helped at all but it was amusing to see all their fanny feathers go blowing in the breeze.

I made some of my DH's cookies and some chocolate chip cookies for my son.  I played with the recipe for the chocolate chip cookies and I don't care for it.  My son says the cookies are good with milk.  Hopefully that's true cause I hate to have to toss them, but I also don't want to force him to eat something that is not good.


Daily 5 things of the day that made me happy
 
1. I got a rhubarb plant to start my own patch!

2. The temps were "just right" outside.  I didn't overheat.

3. Seeing an oriole this morning.

4. Daydreaming about summer actitivties

5. Chatting with my friends today.


No comments: