Sunday, June 24, 2012

First canning of the season


This weekend I did my first canning of the 2012 season.  Somewhere around 17 pint-sized jars, 3 half-pint jars and 4 one-quarter pint jars.  I should be set for the next year for strawberry jam.  

This year I was able to make strawberry-rhubarb jam.  Pretty exciting!  It's got a little bit more meaning for me since the rhubarb was picked for me by one of my SIL's. 

Saturday we decided head out to one of the local pick-your-own strawberry patches.  It was our first time heading to this particular one.  It started raining just as we got there.  It was decided to forge ahead and pick strawberries.  At some point my son stopped picking strawberries and was just standing there and eating them.  No one said anything. I think they were just impressed that we stuck around to pick berries.  I think we got around 16 pounds of strawberries.

It may just be me, but I get a lot of satisfaction from canning.  Yeah, it's a lot of work and it usually happens one the hotter days that I process, but I really enjoy it.  

I say this now, and in a few weeks or so I will be processing cucumbers and beans and peas and feeling totally overwhelmed, :-).  But it does make me happy. 

1 comment:

Lola said...

I've been meaning to try some canning, but well, been a bit busy. And I need to find that farm that is nearby ...