Monday, April 25, 2011

Mixing things up again

Over the weekend I decided it was time to refresh the blog a bit. Of course, I'm such a newb to blogger that I can't do anything to wild and out there. I've got the background changed. In the process I no longer have the white borders on the photos. That's a shame because I really like that style. I may have to switch things up again.

Now that we are getting an actual spring (finally) in my area, my thoughts are turning more and more to gardening and all that goes with it. This weekend I bought the Ball canning book. I spent a few hours looking at the recipes. I am probably one of the few people that gets excited about canning. Never mind that fact that you are preserving something that you actually grew from a seed and usually tastes better than anything you get at the store. I get excited about the actual process of canning! Last year I canned pickles for the first time. Until then I've only canned strawberry jam. The jam usually disappears very quickly.

Things are greening up just a tiny bit around here as well. Nothing very camera worthy however. I was out at the happy place each day the last few days. The grass we planted last year is starting to sprout up. There is no more snow on the garden bed and the trees that were weighed down by snow are starting to straighten up.

DH rototilled the area that will be our new strawberry bed. I'm so excited about this. Total length of the garden bed is around 65-70 feet. I don't know how wide it is, but MAN! that's a lot of space. This isn't counting the berm that we had planted watermelons and tomatoes on. We are thinking about potatoes this year ...

On the knitting front: I did finish a few things in the last few days. I haven't taken photos yet, but I will. I promise!

A couple weeks ago I pulled the spinning wheel out, blew the dust off her and did some spinning. I worked for about an hour.


She sure is pretty! The fiber I'm working on is ... Oh gosh, what is it? ... Corridale, I believe. I am not spinning for anything in particular. I have no plans for plying it either. What I may end up doing is waiting for a pattern to find me that will work with the handspun I end up with. Oh and I didn't actually spin 3+ bobbins full in an hour.

No comments: