Monday, October 30, 2017

Farwell Indian Summer ...

A couple Fridays ago I had the day off. I had no plans when I first decided to take that day off, but knew that if it was nice out I had to be outside to enjoy it.

Sort of spur of the moment, I decided to take a hike on a hiking trail that has a trail head about 15 minutes away.



I am so glad I went.  The day was the last day of beautiful weather for my area. The temperature hit a high in the 70s and sunshine all day.

I went in about two miles, stopped for a lunch and a little bit of knitting, then headed back.


Entrance to the trail.


Well-traveled path, but not completely worn down.


New to me: There is a campsite somewhere just off the trail.


It didn't occur to me until after I started walking that there was a possibility of my going off trail.  Then I saw the blue markers.  Yay!


On the way in I was taking pictures left and right.  Even though leaf colors were past the peak viewing, it was still pretty on the trail.  Or, maybe I was just happy to be outdoors.


This is when I realized how big the trail is. It crosses seven states. Wow!



The trails are very well kept.  I was surprised. This is wider spot for atv/snowmobile access.  There were a few of these roads criss-crossing the trail. 


Someone actually kept the trail part trimmed. Nice!


I know there is a group of volunteers who maintain the trails in our area.  I very much appreciate all they do.


Sun coming through the trees.


This was a maker for the boardwalk I had to cross.


LOVED having the boardwalk. 


Shortly after the boardwalk I found a place to stop for a small picnic.


I viewed the map.


And I knit a few rows on my cardigan.  There was no way I was going to let a chance to knit in the woods go by.

I also did a short video.


I'm still not fully comfortable speaking on camera.  I feel the need to speak slowly, apparently.

On the way back to the trail head I discovered a tree that still had most of its leaves and it was so gorgeous it took my breath away. 





I tried taking pictures from underneath the leaves.


In a sea of green pine trees and brown bark, there was this oasis of orange.



On the way back home I stopped at the village library to pick up a few books.  After getting home, I had a cup of tea and then went out to clean the Chicken Coop of Love. Very exciting stuff.  The ladies were happy to see me. Though I think they they questioned my taste in music.

No comments: