Friday, August 16, 2019

It was a dark and stormy morning ...

The sounds of baby rooster crows echoed. 

Well, that's partially true.  It was dark when I woke up this morning.  It was raining, but no storming.  Just a nice, soft steady rain.  It didn't last long. 

At least one baby rooster was crowing this morning.  Some of those young fellas started finding their voice in the last week. Have I ever mentioned how adorable they sound? 

I am also starting to feel a change in the air.  Summer is winding down.  My son goes back to school in a couple weeks. School information is arriving in the mail.  I'm still trying to figure out what his first day of school is supposed to be like.  He's going into high school and they have an orientation day. There's no mention if it is a partial or a full day. 

The garden is in the final hurrah. We are eating the last of the broccoli and lettuce.  Tomatoes are coming in. The tomato plants grew so large and the fruits are so heavy that they toppled over almost all of the tomato cages. This is a first. 

We are also enjoying the cabbage, jalapeños, cauliflower and everything else that is in the garden.  We haven't dug up any of the carrots. 

I mentioned the baby roosters already.  They are doing great. We have separated the young hens from the roos, so the girls will get used to going into the big coop every night. We discovered we have a lot more hens than previously thought.  Which is wonderful.  I was a little concerned we sold off too many hens. 

The turkey ... oh, that turkey! He's in display mode almost constantly. He thinks he's gorgeous.  He's totally correct. He is gorgeous.  


We had someone stop by last night.  The visitor said "Oh, you've gotten bigger since I last saw you." The turkey knew he was being spoken too and it was complimentary.  The turkey puffed back up and walked over to say "Hey, I know you think I'm gorgeous," and inserted himself into the middle of the group. It was very amusing. 

The big girls are getting to know the young hens and a couple of the young roos that we decided we'd like to keep.  

The bunnies are doing well, too.  We sent off the majority of baby buns off to their new homes.  We still have three in the house with us.  



This little one fell asleep flopped on his back.  He was out cold, too. My son was able to start scratching his belly before the bunny woke up, flipped over and gave us a look like "I wasn't asleep!"


Knitting has slowed down a bit.  I have one sock done. 


You'll notice it looks a bit different. I'm not referring to the line down the center.  That's where both circular needles met. My decreases showed up at the top. 

Sometimes when I follow instructions something gets lost in translation.  This is one of those times.  

However, I think the sock fits my foot better.  The sock fits perfectly, actually. 

I bought myself a sock ruler and I measured my foot length, checked it again, and kept knitting until I reached the the point where I needed to decrease for the toe. 

I kept checking the measurements and at first thought the length was too long. In the end, I fretted for nothing. 

Project: Vanilla socks
Pattern: My own
Started: July 10, 2019, or so.
Needle size: U.S. 1, 2.5 mm, circular needles
Yarn: Knit Picks Felici 
Colorway: Surf's up, Mostly blues with a stripe of purple


I've got the second sock started, but I'm taking my time with it since it's *supposed* to be purse knitting. I'm eager to have it done. 


I've been doing a bit of spinning on the wheel and my spindles. The spindle spinning is going slowly, no surprise. 


I'll just keep spinning until I run out of this particular fiber. It's the same fiber that I am spinning on the wheel.  

In the meantime, I'm spinning this fiber only on the drop spindle. This is fiber I dyed up a couple weeks ago.  If I was to name it, I'd call it "Big Damn Sunset."  



I'm curious to see what kind of yardage I wind up with. 


Rediscovering spindle spinning has been fun.  I wish I had more time for it. It would help if I actually carried it around with me. I could spin a few minutes at a time. 

On the wheel I'm spinning some fiber in a woolen method. I was struggling at first. I'm gradually getting the hang of it. 



I'm hopping to get two bobbins worth of this fiber.  I haven't decided if I want to try two-plying, or chain plying. Can you chain ply woolen spun singles?



No comments: