Friday, September 20, 2019

The changing season

School started at the beginning of the month.  My little man is now a high schooler. I still remember his very first day of school and how he was so excited to go get on the bus.  He barely said good bye to me. 

Last week I caught a nasty virus and was down for the count for the majority of the week.  When I didn't have to be up and doing something, I was in bed resting and sleeping. Naturally I got sick when I was going up against a publishing week. I'm so thankful for the ability to work at home.

The leaves started changing color and dropping. 


The colors started changing near the beginning of the month. One of my friends commented how it seemed my area was starting early.  It got so chilly that I broke down and got the wood stove going. 

What else has been going on since I last wrote?  

Well ... 

We butchered the turkey.  I know, it's much earlier than usual.  It was decided that we didn't want to try butchering a monster-sized turkey in potential sub-zero temps this year. 

All the roosters were butchered as well.  Butchering was broken into two weekends. Both times it went pretty fast.


More baby buns were born.  


These guys are almost ready for their new homes. 

Meanwhile, Loki is tending to her most recent brood. She is such a good mom. 


Shadow had a litter a few days ago.  A "bonus" litter, if you will.  I suspected she might be pregnant.  She gave birth sooner than I expected. I don't have any pictures of them.  I'm hoping this is the last of the babies until next spring, or so. I've been keeping everyone separated. However, when I let Shadow loose in the coop, she runs around to the hutch Thor is in, and acts like a lovesick teenager.  When I let Thor stretch his legs he runs around the coop, peeing on everything. 

I've been preserving stuff from the garden.  This year I decided to freeze most everything, rather than trying to can.


I've been making tomato sauce and blanching broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. Most everything else has been eating almost as soon as it is ready. 




We have a small addition to the farm yard. Meet K2. 


This pretty boy was sold earlier this spring.  The family he went to can't have roosters.  They contacted us and we took him back.  He's got such a great personality and he was used to being babied by people.  He also has great roo-ing instincts.  So, we decided to keep him.  Since he looks just like his daddy we decided to name him K2. 

Bow deer season was last weekend. Unfortunately I was still feeling too cruddy to go out. My husband has gone out a few times after work, but the timing hasn't been right.  The deer changed their routines a bit. 

I did a bit of crafting earlier this month.  Gosh, I can't believe the month is two-thirds done already. I did next to nothing this last week and very little this week. 

On that note, I have some news.  I did record a podcast episode. Then I caught that rotten virus and didn't have the opportunity to load the video or write show notes. I'm hoping to release it sometime this weekend, depending on homestead chores and what not this weekend. 

2 comments:

Becky G said...

Did you get any grapes? It's been so dry here, mine never plumped up. They stayed little, hard knots, and didn't do anything.

Amnicon Studio said...

No! :-( Raccoons came and ate them. Little buggers >:-/