Sunday, March 7, 2021

Seed starting season has begun

 I was so excited for this weekend to start.  You know why? 

Because I get to finally start some seeds! Woo hoo!


This year I'm trying my hand at making seed starting mix. I purchased a few (or four) bricks of coconut coir and a few bags of vermiculite. 

I am wondering if I should have mixed some perlite in. 

Okay, so I might have started some earlier than what I listed on my calendar. 


Last year was SUCH a great learning year for me. It was my first successful year starting seeds. This year I took the time to find out my average last frost date and determine when I should start the various seeds.  I've also be watching a whole lot of youtube videos. MIGardener and The Rusted Garden are two good channels to watch. 

I got to break out the seed storage system that I've been seeing all over on YouTube and decided to jump on the bandwagon. 


I've seen people have all sorts of organization systems for their seeds. I decided to go alphabetical. 

Sooooo ... On Saturday, March 6 I planted:

Black Seeded Simpson

Buttercrunch

Iceberg A

Igloo

Gourmet Blend

Looseleaf Blend

Spinach - Salad Sensation Hybrid

Spinach - Bloomsdale Longstanding

So far I've filled one 1020 tray full of 72 plugs. Today I set my indoor seed starting space up.  


I had the light on only for taking the photo.

I also decided to try an experiment with starting some chive and poppy seeds outside in a makeshift winter sowing greenhouse-ish thing.  I forgot to take a photo of it and now it's night time. In the past I haven't been as serious as I should have been about trying to start poppy seeds. I feel determined to give it a really strong effort this year. I remember a house in my old neighborhood had poppies on the south side.  Every spring it was a gorgeous sea of poppies. Years ago my MIL purchased a poppy plant at a rummage sale and it flourished at her house. I may try a few different methods. Wish me luck!


No comments: