Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Book ~ Twilight book 1



After a bunch of my online buddies read this book I decided I had better jump on the bandwagon and give it a read (or listen in my case).

Twilight is a book that I didn't think I would get into very much since I'm not much of a fan of vampires and the like. Then I remembered what a scifi geek I am and that I loved watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and one of my favorite movies is Underworld. I did read "Interview with a Vampire" and see the movie way back when.

For those who live in a closet: This is a story about a girl who exiled herself from her beloved hometown of Pheonix to live in Forks, Washington with her father. Her mother remarried to a baseball player and wanted to travel with him. Bella, the main character falls in love with Edward, a vampire, and naturally bad things happen and he rescues her over and over. I wouldn't necessarily say that they live happily ever after at the end of the book but if you didn't have an inkling as to what was gonna happen in the later books you do feel a bit of sadness and longing. Oh to be young and in love. :-) You feel everything so much more passionately and I can certainly see how this book appeals to young girls.

I have to agree with some people that the writing was a bit loose and long-winded. I listened to the first 4 discs or so listening to long descriptions and not a whole lot happening. However, lol, once something finally got going I was hooked.

It took me a while to actually listen to the book though. Probably close to 6 weeks. And after a bit I started listening to it again from the beginning because I knew I had missed minute details.

I am looking forward to listening to the next books. I am (naturally) swept up into the story and have tons of Twilight things in my Ravelry cue. Will I ever knit any of it. Hard to say, lol.

No comments: