Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Ordinary time

Ordinary time, a time when there isn't anything "special" going on.

That is sort of how I've been feeling the last few weeks.  In the back of my mind I've got a mental check list of all the stuff I will need to take care of during the next month or so.  We've got Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up in the next three months.  Lots of things to look forward to.

The school year is going great for my son so far. He's got high marks in all his classes. He seems to be really enjoying this year still. No grumbling about doing homework.

The weather has changed and gotten much, much cooler.  Since the weather has changed I've gotten a bit ... broody, for lack of a better word. I've been doing some canning and various domestic goddess stuff.   I've been reading A LOT and listening to audio books.

I've also been spending lots of time in front of the wood stove.  There is nothing quite like spending a windy, dreary day in front of a fire with a good book or knitting, and a cup of something warm to drink. 

Knitting has been happening. I knit up a mess of dishcloths and am currently working on a vanilla sock. 

This past weekend my DH made some beef jerky.  He hasn't done that for a while so it's been a huge treat.

On Saturday morning we woke up to some pretty chilly temps.  We moved the big girls over to the Chicken Shack of Love and I'm pleased to say there has been minimal blood shed and turf wars.

The funniest moment of the whole thing was when we brought No-Tail over. A couple of the baby roos were interested in her and she promptly and thorougly pounded on them and sent them running. The baby roos didn't know what to make of this bald chicken, wearing a diaper-looking saddle, who was given them what-for. Needless to say, no one messed with her afterwards.

No-Tail probably saying "I KNOW you didn't just try to make hearts with me."

The turkeys and Prissy were moved over to the original coop.  The turkeys handled the change very well.  In fact, on Sunday the turkeys didn't want to leave it's sanctuary.

Also on Saturday when my DH went out to check on the birds he came back with an egg and said he found it in the turkey coop.

I was sure it belonged to the orange Americauna since it sounded like she'd been doing eggs songs the last week or so.

But then ... later on in the day when the turkeys were up on the deck, the white turkey (I'm sure it was her) laid an egg.  My son stepped out and came back right in the house and said "Mom, there's an egg on the deck"  So we've had three turkey eggs, two for sure.

Yesterday when I let the turkeys and Prissy outside Prissy was so eager for some action that he was following me and doing his little dance of desire.  I felt so bad for him. I let the big girls out and let him have at them.  Buck tried to do the dance with Prissy and freaked him out.  It was all very funny. 

Last night my son and I had to carry all the girls, Buck, Brewster and Prissy, back to big coop.  They all decided they wanted to go back to their old home. The white turkey was not happy to see the former occupants in the coop.

Tonite when I let the turkeys out they seemed lonely and looking for their former tribe. When it was time to go to bed I got them in with the big coop and later when I shut the light off the turkeys were up on the roosts, happy as can be. I wish I had my camera with me.

This shot is from this morning.

They are all getting along, for the most part.  Tonite all the birds are together. One big happy family. Just the way it should be.  Now if some of those babies would start laying eggs.

Daily 5 things of the day that made me happy

1. My wood stove. Winter is going to be so much more bearable with it.

2. Ice cream.  I've been craving it for the last week or so.  So creamy and good.

3. Audio books which make my commute seem so much faster. Currently listening to "Fallen." I'm still trying to figure this one out.  I'm being a good girl and not reading about it.

4. How turkeys follow me because they think I have treats in my hands.

5. The price of gas has dropped to under $3 a gallon.  Even though I'm highly suspicious of why it's happened I'm going to enjoy the prices while I can.

No comments: