Monday, April 2, 2018

Incubator fun

Our new incubator arrived on Good Friday. 


It is a lot bigger than I thought it would be.  Well, depth-wise it is a lot bigger. 
 
My husband and I set it up, transferred over the eggs we had in incubators, and moved over the eggs that were hatching out. 


The picture above is the first little one to hatch out in the new incubator. 

All set up and running, this is a pretty impressive unit.  Sorry for the crooked shot.  We also sprung for the humidifier add-on.  No having to pull out the water tray and fill it every few days.  Hooray!

 

Speaking of incubators and hatchings, we had some "excitement" Thursday evening.  The one incubator we had in lock down and chicks hatching out decided it didn't want to play nice, and it started not keeping temperature.  My husband spent close to three hours trying to get the temps back up to where they needed to be and we crossed our fingers that the new incubator would arrive on time. 


So many babies hatching out, and eggs pipping all over the place.  We had that incubator wrapped in blankets, over a heating pad, and I put a rice pack on top, to ensure temps would stay up.  

The end result?  Probably our best hatch out.  We certainly stressed over this one. Now we have a second tote full of love. I forgot to count how many hatched out. 


In other chick news, we moved the meat birds out to the little coop.  They were growing too quickly and weren't happy in the house.

While they were in the house.  They didn't move around much.  Barely said a peep. 


 Out in the coop, however, they are so happy.  They are running all over the place and doing their leg stretches and wing stretches. 


 The big girls are doing fine.  I have no recent photos of them.  I do have a video of Mama's boy crowing, finally.  

He's got such a deep crow. I have been wanting to get it on video for ages.  He's camera shy, though, and he gets real quiet if you pull out the phone. 


 In other news, we celebrated Easter, and had the big meal over at my mother-in-law's. We decided to do something different this time around, and had a crown roast that my hubby smoked in the smoker.  Yum!  So good.  My sister-in-law made a small turkey and sides.  I didn't have room in my stomach to try the turkey, but I was told it was really good. 

There is more snow on the way.  Gah!  Snow starting tonight and going to tomorrow. I had plans for outdoor stuff. Mother nature must have got a whiff of it, and decided to spoil them.  

I've also been summoned to jury duty.  I'm supposed to call tonight and see if I need to show up tomorrow.  I'm really hoping the trial has been settled because I don't want to try and rush to get to the court house early in the morning.

 


No comments: