Monday, February 18, 2019

Can we time travel to June?

I think my son said it best when he asked me tonite if we could "time travel to June?"

Snow. Then more snow.  And more snow, with some more in the forecast later this week.

The last few weeks I've spent a lot of time shoving snow around, shoveling it and clearing it away. I'm tired.

About five years ago, when we had a *really* bitterly cold winter, I had heard an interview of a WWII vet on a canning and preservation podcast. The interview was extremely interesting. It also gave me a whole new perception on what I would define as a "cold winter." The podcast can be listened to here.

As a result, I don't complain about the cold during the winter. At least I don't think I do. I'm very mindful of it. Anything I experience now cannot compare to what the soldiers experienced during that winter.

My biggest pet peeve, however, is the mailbox.

It snows.  I take care of the snow in the driveway, the front yard, etc., and the mailbox. Living in a rural area means we have our mailbox out on the road. It needs to stay cleared of snow so the mail person can easily drive up to the mailbox and be able to open the mailbox.  If it's not easy for the person to reach the mailbox, they don't have to deliver our mail.


So every time it snows, I go out and shovel out the mailbox.  I think I do a pretty good job, too.  I shovel out around the mailbox and move the snow at least three feet on each side. I shovel and push the snow off the top of the snow banks, so it doesn't get too high, and I still have a place to push snow to.


However, every time I've shoveled out the mailbox, within a few hours, the plow comes by and pushes snow right back in front of the mail box.

I feel like Sisyphus, rolling that *bleeping* rock up the hill, over and over.

*ahem*

This past weekend we spent some time doing snow clean up.  Or, as I sometimes like to think, my husband cleaned up my messes.

We also had a TON of snow up on the roof.  No kidding.  Hubby and my son went up on the roof and knocked some down.


So much snow ... Did I mention we have more on the way? 


Then I went around the house and cleared out the snow off the deck and the stuff that wound up in the driveway, along with the stuff that fell around the front stoop. 



Ohhhh boy.  I can't wait for this next round of snow. 


No comments: