Friday, February 8, 2019

A quick little tea break

I've been on vacation for most of this week.  One of those "use-it-before-you-lose-it" deals. I'd love to be able to say I've spent all my days doing absolutely nothing.  Reality is I've been spending the days catching up on stuff and working on projects that have been lingering far too long.

Today I recorded a podcast episode.  I've got it compressed.  Now I just need to find a good time to upload it. Since the files are so big, they take a while and we use our internet pretty heavily.  I don't know if it will be posted this weekend or wait until I get back to work and use the faster internet there.

Anywho, I took advantage of today and made Pain au Chocolate from scratch.  I was fortunate enough to have bittersweet chocolate in the cupboard.

 


It turned out delicious!  I don't dare make this too often.  It's so filling.  It's been several years since I last tried making it. The cup is an early Valentine's gift from my DH.  He showed it to me, on a lark, and I asked him when he was going to order it for me.


Today turned out to be a gorgeous and frigid day. It doesn't seem fair that a day with a sky as beautiful as this should be as cold as it was today. It was nice to see some sun, though. We just had a snow storm in my area.  The sky was a weird grey before the snow hit.

 

I spent some time outside shoveling around the mailbox and making a trail from the house out to the coop.

The day wasn't all chores and baking. Today someone mentioned Roger Moore. That made me think of James Bond. So I watched Thunderball in the morning (Yes, I know that's a Sean Connery movie) and then I watched a couple Pink Panther movies in the afternoon, when I wasn't trying to be lazy and take a nap.

There was a surprise in today's mail.

A real honest-to-goodness letter.  I can't think of the last time I received a letter in the mail.  The letter writer has letter wax and stamps.  It's so fun to get a letter sealed this way. I'm excited to write back to her.  It's from a gal that I've known on Facebook for several years.

 

Things have been sort of quiet on the home front. Weather and vacation time hasn't helped much.  I've also been a bit brooding and in my head.  Lots of pondering going on.

Before I forget, I didn't mention this on the podcast.  I wasn't sure  if I wanted to share sooner or later, but last week I had a car accident. (Last Tuesday) Low speed impact.  I was driving to the village, and a deer came running down one of the side roads.  I saw it coming and hit the brakes.  Unfortunately the roads were slippery so I couldn't stop in time. The deer couldn't stop in time and nailed my passenger front quarter panel. The deer then jumped up and took off.  No chance of me trying to catch it. I felt a bit concerned seeing it take off, because I don't know what kind of internal damage it received.


This is my first car accident in almost 20 years.  So many close calls with the deer, living out in the county. It was finally my time, I guess.  Remarkably, I was calm and had no adrenaline rush, or nervousness. Probably because I knew it was inevitable that deer was going to crash into me. Acceptance before the event occurred, maybe?

Fortunately there is an auto body repair shop that is somewhat close to me. The car is going into the "spa" next Monday. So, it's been good that I have been on vacation and not needed to drive anywhere. 





No comments: