Sunday, January 20, 2019

Episode 08 - Getting back into the swing of things

Welcome back! Thanks for visiting and letting me chat at you today. Grab your favorite drink, and come sit a spell. I have a lot of crafty things to chat about. 



Works In Progress
Vanilla socks on 9-inch needle
Needles: U.S. 1 (2.5 mm)
Yarn: Knitpicks Felici
Colorway: "Eclipse"


Finished Objects

Crochet blanket
Started: Oct. 25, 2018
Finished: Dec. 2018
Hook size: 9 m.m.
Yarn: Red Heart
Colorway: Black and the "Favorite Stripes" colorway.
Crocheting two strands together. 


Vanilla Socks
Started: Around Oct. 22, 2018
Finished: End of Dec. 2018.
Needle: US 1, 2.5 mm 
Yarn: Knit Picks Felici
Colorway: Lost Lakes


Ashville hat (ravelry link)
Started: Early December 2018
Finished: End of December 2018.
Needle: US 9 needles 
Yarn: Knit Picks Brava bulky
Colorway: Solstice Heather

This was a test knit for my friend.  Proceeds from hat sales will go towards buying items for her angel bags, which go with the hats. Many thanks to my friend who sent me bulky yarn. 



Cabled Tassel Hat (link to Lionbrand)
Started: Early December 2018
Finished: End of December 2018.
Needle: US 13 needles 
Yarn: Lionbrand Hometown USA
Colorway: Azalea colorway


Still trying to decide if I should put a pom pom on.  Is one better than the other? 



Forbidden Fiber Co Mystery Advent KAL
Started: Dec. 2, 2018
Finished: Dec. 31, 2018.
Needle: US 7 needles 
Yarn: Forbidden Fiber Co DK weight yarn
Colorway: variety of colorways


I've spent entire days with this lovely draped around my neck. 



Yarn Talk
I got new ChiaoGoo 
shorties. There was a learning process for me. 

I also signed up for a year of BluPrint (Formerly Craftsy)

I got a weaving loom for Christmas.  It's a 32-inch Kromski Forte Harp. Thanks to my friend who sent me a warping peg. Major thanks to my husband for finding the deal of the year. 


My first project ended up being a table runner. I used Red Heart acrylics. 


My second project was a set of tea towels. Yarn used was Peaches and Cream dishcloth cotton. I don't know the name of the colorways. 


In Stitches

I got the itch to quilt. Two summers ago I started a quilt for my son. I completed it Jan. 12, 2019. Hooray!  My son is thrilled to bits with it and has slept with it every night. 


Here's the diagram my son made, to show where he wanted the different squares. 


Book Chat
I did finished listening to "The Rosie Project." Such a fun book!  

I'm almost done listening to "A Corner of White." This is my second time listening to the story. 

Coop News
Nothing too exciting going on with the girls.  They aren't too happy with the cold weather.

From the Hutch
News about Shadow. She's no longer itty bitty and sweet.  She's large and in charge!

Barefoot in the Kitchen

Not much has been going on in the kitchen. The busyness of the holidays has thrown me off kilter, a bit.  I'm slowly getting back into routine. 

I did make a banana cake recently.  Very good!  I got the recipe from Sugar Spun Run. 

I did make one modification to the cake recipe, and one to the frosting recipe.  I reduced the sugar by one-quarter cup. I do recommend using the tin foil, to prevent browning and drying out. 

This is the recipe, with my modifications. Follow the link above, to see the original recipe.

The Best Banana Cake

Ingredients
3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
¾ cup canola or vegetable oil 
1 cup light or dark brown sugar 
1/4 cup sugar
4 ripe bananas, peeled and well-mashed (this is about 2 cups mashed)
2 large eggs lightly beaten room temperature
¼ cup buttermilk
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese softened
1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tablespoons heavy cream

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and spray a 9x13 pan with baking spray or lightly grease and flour.  Set aside.
Combine butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl and use an electric mixer). Beat until well-combined and light and fluffy.
Add oil and beat to combine.  
Stir in mashed bananas.
Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract and stir until well-combined.
In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Gradually add to wet ingredients until completely combined.  
Spread batter into prepared pan and bake on 350F (175C) for 45-55 minutes* or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean with few moist crumbs.  Allow to cool completely before covering with frosting.

Silky Cream Cheese Frosting
Combine cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract, and salt in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy.
With mixer on low-speed, gradually add powdered sugar until completely combined.
Add heavy cream and gradually increase speed to high.  Beat on high for 30 seconds.  
Spread over completely cooled banana cake.  Top with chopped walnuts (if using).  Slice and serve!

Notes
*Important -- keep an eye on your banana cake as it bakes.  30 minutes in, check your cake to see if it's becoming too brown on top (pay attention to the edges, if they're getting darker in color and pulling away from the edges), if so you may lightly tent with foil before baking the remaining 15 minutes.  I had this issue when baking in a glass dish but not in a metal one (which was opposite of what I expected).  


Nature Notes

It got cold out.

My Happiness This Week

Or, after almost two years, I finally completed the quilt I promised my son.  He's thrilled to bits with it. 

No comments: