Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Weekend busyness and resting

On Friday afternoon I roped my son into helping me finish cleaning the exterior of the house.  He said "Do I need to wear shoes for this?"  I told him "no" and that he should take advantage of the being able to run through the yard barefoot and not have to worry about chicken poop. 

He immediately kicked the shoes off, took off running and said "Whee!"

He ran all over the side yard and into the back yard before coming back and helping me. 

The entire exterior is all nice and clean.  One hundred percent pine pollen free.  For now. 

Later in the afternoon I did my very first clipper cut. On my son. His hair grows fast and he's loathe to get it cut.  It got to the point where it's too long and something needed to be done.  We told him earlier in the week that it was going to be done.  I watched YouTube videos and felt reasonably sure I could do it without giving him bald patches or something. 

I sat him down in the kitchen and he set up his phone to watch something.  He was completely fine with it.  Happy as could be.  His few comments included how it felt weird to lose the hair, his head felt colder and "You said it wouldn't be too short."  Well ... that last bit couldn't be helped.  Afterwards, when he was cleaning up, I could hear him whistling. What a silly goose!

I can't share any photos because he hates when I take pictures of him and he'd probably have a meltdown if I posted his new hairdo online. 

This may not look like much, but man, that was a LOT of hair I took off. The rest of the hair was in the sheet I draped around him. 


Saturday was a GORGEOUS day. My big project for the day was taking care of a painting project that has been needing to be done for a long time. I painted the majority (I think) of the fascia on the big chicken coop and the shed. Along with the door trim on the two coops.  So very glad to have that done. I don't like ladders and unless my husband stood at the bottom of the extension ladder, holding it, I wasn't going to paint the peaks of the buildings. So he took care of those for me. 

In this picture you can see The Grass Seed Project (tm) We need more warm weather.  Maybe a bit more rain. 



I spent so much time on the ladders that my poor ankles and feet were sore at the end of the day. My son and husband cleaned up sticks and branches out of the yard. It's a big project because our trees drop branches that are the size of small trees. 

Oh, and we broke out the smoker. It was the perfect day for it. 


And the after shot. 


Oh, it was so yummy! My man knows how to smoke a piece of meat. 

Saturday afternoon I pulled out all the out outdoor chairs, with the intent of pressure washing them all. 

My pressure washer decided to crap out on me.  I'm not too happy about this because there weren't many hours on it. Also, I planned on pressure washing the front stoop before staining it to match the back deck. I guess I'll have to use a deck brush? 

Sunday we broke out the lawn tractor and I drove it around, chopping up oak leaves.  What a difference in how it makes the lawn look.  Before it looked so untidy.  Now it's starting to looking like a yard again. Just needs more green. Grow grass grow!



Sunday afternoon I spent in the greenhouse, splitting up seedlings and planting some more seeds. I forgot just how long that can take. I have a whole lot of jalapeno's, peppers and tomato starts now. 

I up potted and planted all these things and now our overnight lows are not ideal. 

Sunday into Monday I left a few things out in the greenhouse and things were okay. Last night was supposed to be a bit warmer for the overnight low, so I felt reasonably sure with leaving things out in the greenhouse.  

Turns out the forecast lied to me.  It dipped below freezing last night. Not good.  

I went out to the greenhouse to check things out.  For the most part everything was all right.  One of my pepper plants had some damage.  


My biggest one, too. Figures.  Live and learn, though.  Live and learn. The pepper plants will definitely be coming back in tonite. 

Yesterday I accidentally left one of my lettuces out on the deck table and it was fine.  So I feel pretty good about leaving those things out overnight in the greenhouse. 

Update on the plants and seedlings. All my lettuces and basil.  On the lower shelf is various morning glories, 4 o'clocks and a couple moon flowers.  I have no idea if this stuff is going to sprout. They are my "hey it could be cool if these things sprout," experiments.


The seedlings I started at the end of April.  Feels like they should be bigger. A few things are starting to get their second set of leaves. 


The various greens looks so pretty all smushed together. 


Columbines seeds planted in the top tray. Peppers plants on the lower shelf. 


My broccoli is wondering when it's safe to be planted.  Soon. 


I'm still babying the heck out of my tomato plants. They are still kicking.  


I can tell they'd grown. They are sturdy little plants. 


The plants I currently have in the house. Probably until Tuesday of next week, if the forecast is any indication. All these plants are ones that I separated. 


I'm a bit smitten with this little plant. 


It's a Rutgers tomato plant. 

The tray on the left are the original plantings.  (Is that the right word?). Peat moss things.  As nice as those peat pots are, I think I'm going to look into an alternative next year. Something a bit more sturdy. 


Tomato and pepper plants.  


I have to come up with a game plan for where all these plants will eventually go. The last things I need to plant is more lettuce, which will go into pots, and beans, carrots and a couple other things which will be directly sown into the garden. 

This evening I made an apple crisp. With it being a cool day I decided I wanted an excuse to have the oven on. I used a new-to-me apple, Envy.  I'm not sure how I feel about this apple.  I'll need to try them at least one more time.  Cause so far I'm not terribly impressed with the texture and they seemed dry. 


I remarked to my husband this weekend that we have gotten a LOT of stuff done around the house and outside of the house this year. He agreed. I've been thinking of what other things still need to be done.  Not much more.

There are a few more places in the back 20 where I want to clear out the scrubby stuff.  I'm not sure if I will get to it this year. 

Not much going on the last few days.  With it being weekdays now I've been focusing on work-for-pay. It helps that the weather has been cooler so the outdoors isn't siren-calling me. 

No comments: