Saturday, September 22, 2007

Breakfast at Tiffany's ~ The book

I read "Breakfast at Tiffany's" this month in my online book group. I have never seen the movie and didn't have any idea as what to expect. Never knew that the movie was based on a book.

I was amazed at Capote's style of writing and the frank writing of stuff that we today consider "normal" but back then was considered in bad taste. I enjoyed the book. I thought it was a sweet story for a love that would never be. I was a bit sad at the end when she let the cat go but I've always been a sucker for a cat. :-) But was pleased when she tried to go back and find it.

It kind of reminds me of a Michener novel. The one in particular is "Caravans". That I have read twice. I am profoundly amazed at the fact that a young woman took charge of her destiny, left her home country, left her husband and joined a caravan in the dessert and was ultimately kicked out of the country. To not worry about tomorrow or the day after is definitely not something I could do, lol.

No comments: