Tuesday, January 13, 2015

New hobby (I told you, I collect them)

I'm not doing so great with the writing this month.  I'm still trying to get back into routine and it hasn't been easy after having so much time off of work and school. It's a weak excuse but it is the truth.

Last Wednesday we had our first no school day due to the cold temperatures. Thankfully the day was my work-at-home day. It made for an interesting time.  I'm so thankful my son knows how to entertain himself.

I'm finally on a week where I don't have to worry about getting stuff ready for the following publishing Monday.  Gives me a chance to catch up on a few things and have grand delusions of long range plans.

Some knitting has been accomplished.


My stripey socks are almost done. All that is needed are the afterthought heels.  I'm going to let these marinate for a bit before I wrap them up.

I think the next thing I pop on the needles will be a shawl. Not a complicated one.  Something made from LionBrand homespun yarn.  I *heart* that yarn for big comfy shawls.

This week I decided to try my hand at tatting.  Yes, you read that right. Even though I told myself "oh no, I won't get into tatting," I did.  A few months ago I purchased the necessary tools. A few shuttles and a set of tatting needles.  Someone suggested to me that I try needle tatting first. 

I scoured the interwebs and got a pretty good idea on how to do the stitching.  It's the joining of the chains and circles which has me a bit frustrated. A few websites were suggested to me, as well.

Last night I found this youtube video.  I liked how clear and even paced the video was. But I wanted to *make* something.

I settled on following the tutorial by TotusMel over on Instructables. I couldn't quite follow the instructions and the video went too fast and had no sound.  I did find out that she loaded the same video with audio and I followed it while I made the project. 

After a few false starts I got something.


Woo hoo!  I think it's pretty great for a first project. 

Yesterday I stopped at the store and picked myself up a little case for carrying around any tatting projects I might be working on.


Many years ago I got a gift from a friend in a cool gift box.  I've been holding onto the box.  The tatting tools I'm not using will go in it. 


I haven't read any more of Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery) because I got Cat Trick (A Magical Cats Mystery) from the library. I got Scrap-N-Craft mystery for my kindle from the library.  I'm a glutton for punishment when it comes to books.

Weather people are assuring us that temperatures will hit the 30s F by the weekend. Right now it's cold and windy.

Our little Elvis is going broody again. She's starting to guard the fake egg with a vengeance. 

I didn't realize until today that we have four roos.  It sort of slapped me in the face when I saw them this afternoon.

Hens are doing all right.  We are getting 10-12 eggs a day. We've developed a taste for hard-boiled eggs on our salads.


No comments: