Thursday, September 20, 2018

Episode 02 - Up North, eh?

I'm back! I also have plenty to chatter about.  Grab your favorite beverage and come visit with me!



Works in progress
Lake shore scarf by Mara Jessup. Pattern available on the Knit Picks website.
Needles U.S. 3 (3.25 mm)
Yarn: Knitpicks. I think it might be stroll hand painted sock yarn.
Colorway: Great Lakes

Vanilla socks on two circs
Needles: U.S. 1 (2.5 mm)
Yarn: Knitpicks Felici
Colorway: The Countess

 Books


Audiobook - Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card. I have really enjoyed this story.  The book had a variety of voice actors.  All did a phenomenal job.

Book - Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner. Having a hard time getting into it.  It's a slow start. I'm on page 14 so far. The name of the podcast I mentioned is "Close Reads."

In the kitchen

I made salsa and canned for the first time in a while. I forgot how much I enjoy the canning process.  We have had a bounty of tomatoes this year. This is my private stock.


I've also been using up the zucchini.  I made a zucchini cake, using a Betty Crocker recipe out of the cookbook my sister-in-law gave me many years ago.


 The recipe for this cake is:

Zuchinni cake

It is recommended to mix without an electric mixer.

1 - 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
2 cups flour
1 - 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 cups shredded zuchinni
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)

Cream cheese frosting

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13 x 9 x 2 inches, or 2 round pans, 8 x 1 - 1/2 or 9 by 9 x 1 - 1/2 inches, with shortening; lightly flour.

2. Mix sugar, oil and eggs in large bowl until blended; beat 1 minute. Stir in remaining ingredients except zuchinni, nuts and cream cheese frosting; beat 1 minute. Stir in carrots and nuts. Pour into pan.

3. Bake rectangle 40-45 minutes, rounds 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.

4. Frost rectangle or fill and frost layers with cream cheese frosting.

Enjoy!

Nature notes

Mother nature did not want to cooperate with me.  After recording it started raining.  It's still gloomy as can be.


What makes me happy this week are Thermacells.  This gadget is awesome! Would not have been able to sit out in the deer blind without it.

Thanks for watching!

2 comments:

Kelly Blake (Kasper) said...

I don't think you have an "accent" but you definitely sound like a northerner lol. But I'm used to that, I would say I have more of an accent because I live more southern. I want to get a good cast iron skillet also! So that is not nerdy. Charmayne gave me one that needs to be sanded and conditioned.. .which I haven't done yet. What is an egg song? And how do you keep track of all the chickens?..i mean who is who lol. Anyway, I enjoyed listening. Love ya

Amnicon Studio said...

I'm a northerner, through and through, I reckon. :-)

Cast iron is awesome when it's properly seasoned. I'll share a link to the method I use.

An egg song is when the hen is in the process of laying an egg, or just laid an egg and she's telling the world what she did.

We keep track of the chickens by personality and if they are uniquely feathered. You start to notice the differences after a while. :-) XOXO!