Thursday, July 4, 2019

Thursday chatter

I don't have any current WIPs, unless you count the little table topper top that I still need to pull together with batting and and backing fabric. 


I started this a couple months ago, with Halloween-themed fabric I purchased, thinking I'd make a few project bags. It's about 17 inches tall and 30-something inches wide.  I think I did a nice job with piecing. I haven't decided what kind of quilting I want to do, buuuuut I'm leaning towards straight quilting with a walking foot.  I ordered a walking for my machine *months* ago and still haven't tried it. 

Yesterday I was flipping through my Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmerman.  In particular, I was looking at the July chapter.  I came across a line that I thought was pretty good. 


If you don't have this book, she has shawl knitting as the project for July. I doubt I'd be able to knit a shawl in one month, now a days ... unless it was worsted weight.  I know of a pattern in an old Interweave Knits magazine I have. But do I have worsted weight yarn?  Maybe.  I'd have to go diving into the stash. 

Tuesday morning we discovered that Loki had a litter.  I thought she had been acting off the last few days.  Thor was being pretty attentive to her, too.  He's a good hus-bun as they say on Instagram. 


I tried taking a photo of them, but it didn't turn out well. You can just barely make out one.  I didn't want to mess around too much because Thor comes running into the hutch and wondering what a person is up too.  

Loki is a good mama, too.  She tends to be a bit high strung, in my opinion, though.  I don't know if this is just her personality or stems from something else. I still remember the first time she had a litter with us.  Poor girl was stressing bad when we just walked near her litter. Thor, being a good boy, would do what he could to pull anyone away from the nest. 

In any case, we have five beautiful little bunny beans.  We've been through a few litters now, and I am still amazed at how quick they grow. 


In other news, I'm listening to an audiobook. I drove in to the office yesterday and I decided to listen to one of the audiobooks I picked up at the library last week. 


Here's an article explaining the story. 

There is four or five discs and I finished up the first disc as I was getting close to home.

The story is about an orphaned bear cub. The story main story starts when bear comes out of her den with her mother and learns more about the world.  She wants to climb higher than any other bear, and go farther than any other bear has gone. Bear learns and grows over the summer and in August, she wanders away from her mother. When she returns she realizes something is wrong, and goes searching for her mother.  

Okay, cue a scene that is sort of familiar to when Bambi's mother died.  Only this time with a trapper. 

I had to fight the tears that wanted to pour. I was driving down the highway, telling myself "Don't cry. Don't cry."

The trapper's grandson rescue's bear, brings her back to his home, and she promptly causes unintentional mischief. 

The trapper brought bear to a nearby town and sells her to a soldier for $20. Where I left off in the story is where Bear is in the horse train car, explaining that she doesn't fight.  She helps people feel better.  

After arriving home and looking up the story, I realized this story is telling the story of the bear that Winnie the Pooh is based on.  

Here's Winnie with her soldier, Henry Colbourn. The image can be found on Wikipedia. 


My first book in months and it's a bit of a tear jerker.  Lovely.  I won't quit it, though. But it might take me a little to get through it. 

And today is Independence Day, here in America. So far my day has been pretty quiet.  I'm enjoying a cup of coffee and hammering out this post. It's also the start of a long weekend for the whole family. All of us will get to watch the fireworks together.  That hasn't happened in years.  The village does a nice fireworks show. We just have to decide where we want to park.  The weather people are forecasting storms for today. 


Happy Independence day everyone!

No comments: