Monday, January 17, 2022

Doing a bit of catch up

I had today off from work. I have a bunch of vacation time to use before my work anniversary, so I figured I need to start taking it when I can. 

This day was used to catch up on a couple things.  The day flew by and I just barely got everything on my list taken care of. 

Something I did accomplish today was putting together the desk for my new She Shed.  (More about it in a different blog post.)

I spotted a desk I thought would be perfect for my new space on Menar*ds website. It was a deal! I was flipping through the flyer and spotted it, took a screen shot and sent it to my husband. When I went to the store to order it, it wasn't in the flyer or on their website's flyer.  Turns out I managed to catch a glitch and capture an image of it. Menards honored the sale price and the desk arrived this past weekend. 


Things are still a bit of a mess out there.  With how cold it has been, it's hard to spent a lot of time out there and making things just so. Plus, I'm still moving things around. 


Last week I had an early deadline for work, and I was busy completing works in progress.  Well, things I've been wanting to make for a while, but never had the time. The week before I had time off but somehow the week got away from me, so I didn't get nearly as much done as I would have liked. 

Anywho ... *looking innocent*

First things I made were some WIP bags, using the tutorial from the Fat Quarter Shop

Over the years I've tried a variety of bags and none have really fit the bill.  I'm really happy with this style of project bag, and wanted more than the two I had. 

This bag was made with fabric in my collection.  I wasn't paying as close attention as I should have been. After I got the binding all done I realized I wound up with the handle on the side, instead of the top.  Oh well.  It still works and I'm not changing it! 


I found this fabric at Wal.mart and fell in love with it. It had to become a project bag. 


I spotted this fabric at Wal.mart, as well.  


January appears to be the month of sewing for me.  I "took a class" through Craftsy and made myself a dress for this summer. 

The pattern is McCalls sewing pattern #11015 7120. The fabric is from Hobby Lobby. 


This took me about a week to make.  I worked on it here and there. I made a few mistakes and fixed them. 


I've made some clothing in the past.  Very few pieces have turned out well.  I decided I would follow the class and do everything it said.  You know what? -- it fits and it looks really nice. Imagine that. 

I can picture myself wearing this dress out in the garden this summer, and it makes my heart happy. I'm looking forward to pulling out the patterns I already have and giving them another try. If they are the correct size.  I've had some of these patterns for years.  Then I'll have to learn out to resize them. 

What else have I done? Hmmm ... I've made a few quilt squares for the Sewcialite quiltalong that is also hosted by the Fat Quarter Shop. I'm so far behind on this.  I did start it on time.  Then chick season started last spring. 

Block 22 - Blessed


This block kicked my butt a bit.  Those flying geese squares were not my friend in this particular block.  I had to recut many pieces. 

Block 23 - Steadfast

This one pulled together, easy-peasy. 

Some cross stitching has been happening. 

I made the cross stitch pattern from Fat Quarter Shop's Cross Stitch University.  (Are you sensing a theme?)


I changed the blue to red, and changed up a couple of the centers.  Or, maybe all of them.  

Everything else is called for DMC colors. I stitched it on 14 count Aida cloth, with the sparkle bits in it.  I'm still looking for a frame. I'd rather have my pieces in picture frames. I'm happy with the finished stitch. 

I also was working on another cross stitch.  (*was* working on it) My friend who owns Forbidden Fiber Co put out a free pattern, and I saw it and knew I had to make it. Photo is directly linked from Forbidden Fiber Co. 

I did the called for DMC, but opted to use the Diamant floss in silver for the "Sparkle" part.

It's so pretty, right? 

Yesterday I worked on it all evening.  Math bit me in the butt. The piece of Aida cloth I used wasn't big enough. 


Boo!

This might work in my favor. Before I started the cross stitch I had thought about trying my hand at dyeing some Aida with Rit dye. Sounds like a weekend project. 












No comments: