Wednesday, September 21, 2022

WIP Wednesday

 I realize it's been about a month since I shared my WIPs. To see my last update, please see it here



Project Name: Vanilla socks
Started: July 2022
Finished: 
Designer/Source: My own pattern
Yarn:Knit Picks Felici
Colorway: Captain Nemo
Colors: blues
Required Amount: 
Needle/Hook Size: U.S. 1 (2.25 mm)
Gauge: beats me
Made For: Myself
Dye Lots: 18510

I've been working on this while we are in the car and a little bit when I'm watching tv.  I got to a point where I knew I was super close to finishing the first sock, so I concentrated on it and finished it up on this past Saturday.  I brought this with me for the few appointments I've had recently Naturally, I didn't have "extra" time to fill. 

The cuff ribbing is all done and now I can cruise along the leg for a while. 



Project Name: Stars and Stripes
Started: July 16, 2022
Finished: Oh ... I finished it a bit ago.  Sometime in August. 
Fabric: 14 Count Aida by Zweigart, in "toast."
Pattern originally called for 36 count linen, in a light mocha color
Floss: I'm using the called-for colors in DMC
Stitch count: 74 x 122
Size: Too lazy to do the math right now
Needle Size: size 26

I finished the main motif of the chart and realized my aida cloth wasn't large enough to put the border on. Bummer.  If I had turned the aida cloth and worked it the other way, I'm sure there would have been enough room. I'm deciding if I want to put a simple border on it, or not.  Also, how to FFO it?  I was thinking about making it into a little pillow finish. Or, maybe finish it with a hoop? 




Project Name: Edna goes to brunch
Started: early July 2022
Finished: 
Designer/Source: Lindy Stitches
Fabric: 32 count Mint Splash Lugana by Zweigart
Floss: I'm using the called-for colors in DMC
Stitch count: 133 x 96s
Size: 8.3" x 6"
Needle Size: size 28

I am making slow progress on this little cutie. It's the evenweave.  I'm getting used to it, bit by bit, but I still can't go *zoooooooom* on it.  I'm gonna love it when it's done, though. 



Project Name: My First Raglan
Started: Sept. 18, 2022
Finished: 
Designer/Source: Lionbrand
Yarn:Hobby Lobby's "I love this yarn!"
Colorway: Shocking violet
Colors: mostly violets
Required Amount: I bought 6 skeins, to be safe
Needle/Hook Size: U.S. 6 (4.0 mm) and U.S. 8 (5.0 mm)
Gauge: I got 17 stitches over 4 inches; and 23 rows over 4 inches.  Just a little under the recommended gauge.
Made For: Myself
Dye Lots: 202227

I have a new knitting WIP. I started it this past weekend.  The weather is changing and I felt the urge to cast on a sweater. I was scrolling through the Craftsy sweater classes and saw one that I thought would be good for me to practice my sweater-making skills on.  It is a Lion Brand pattern, called My First Raglan Pullover. 

So far I have 11 inches knit up on the back piece. Yes, I'm knitting it flat and will be seaming together. Since I have access to the Craftsy class I'm hoping it will help me through any issues that may arise.



I have to knit until it's 15 inches long and then start decreasing for the shoulders. I've been knitting on this in the mornings, before work, and for a little bit in the evenings, once I'm settled in.  It seems to be going quick.  I anticipate that feeling will last until I have to make the sleeves. I'm crossing my fingers that this time around, the sweater won't stretch out like the grey cardigan did.  People make clothing items out of acrylic yarn all the time, and store bought sweaters are made from acrylic yarns.  What did I do wrong?  Should I be hand washing these pieces like my wool pieces? 



 






3 comments:

Becky G said...

I love the colors in that sweater. I wish I knew what to tell you about it stretching, but I've never worked with that yarn before. It's been so long since I've knit a sweater anyway, but yeah, acrylic is supposed to be machine washable. I hope this one does better for you.

Amnicon Studio said...

Thanks. I haven't worked with this yarn before, either. All I know is that Caron's Simply Soft is not an ideal yarn to use when making clothing.

knitster said...

love the colorway of the socks and can't wait to see the sweater finished. Edna looks like a fun stitch.