Monday, February 20, 2023

Peppers!

 This was a pretty quiet weekend. Not much going on.  Nice weather. My husband and I spent some time outside, and running to Menards, checking on garden stuff and picking up some more potting soil. 

I checked on the seeds.

 and I spotted a bit of green in the pepper tray.  Some of the Big Jim Pepper seeds sprouted. 

And a few more ... 


I feel like I can relax just a little bit now. Peppers are sprouting. A bhut pepper and a habanero are up.  A jalapeno or two. 

I guess this side of the tray needs a bit more time. 


The nice thing about starting them this early is that I still have some time if they fail to sprout. 


Grow little peppers, grow. 

My other tray seems to be doing well, too.  The broccoli is growing big! 


A few of these seedlings are starting to get their first true leaves.  I don't think I have had seeds grow this fast before.  My husband commented that he doesn't recall seeds sprouting so fast for us.  I may have to do a bit of reading and see how soon I can have broccoli in the ground. 

My cabbage and cauliflower are growing at a more sedate pace.


It's all looking good. My cauliflower germination rate is better than the cabbage. I suppose one benefit to the soil blocking is not feeling bad about a cell being blank. I'll just toss the blocks that don't produce back into the soil tote. 


And I can't forget my lettuce greens. 


Twenty days since I sprinkled these lettuce seeds. In about a week I can start harvesting. Lightly harvesting, I suppose.  Still, though ... I'll have homegrown lettuce in late February. I've never had that before. 




No comments: