Monday, February 27, 2023

Quiet weekend

It was a fairly quiet weekend around the homestead.  Cooler temperatures and lovely sun. 

My hubby and I went to town on Saturday to pick up some more bags of potting mix/soil for use in the garden this summer. We priced out a few things but didn't purchase.  Stuff we were looking at wasn't on sale. 

I did, however, pick up some more seeds.  I think I have a sickness for the "cheapies" now.  I've had such good success with them the last few years. 


When I was going through my seed collection on Friday, and making notes of when to start the seeds, I discovered I was out of Zinnia seeds.  I *love* Zinnias in the garden.  I also noticed my marigold seeds were low in supply.  I love marigolds, too.  They remind me of my mother-in-law.  It was something we used to have in the flower garden when I lived in town and she and I both took turns purchasing them. 

Some of the flower youtube channels I've been watching talk about Straw and Stock flowers, so I thought I'd pick up a packet of those, since they were only 10 cents. 

The sweet peas are something new.  And broccoli, just because. 

I am very nearly on the cusp of being able to start planting seeds that need to be started at 12 weeks before last anticipated frost. Though, I will say, I probably could have started a few things already. 

Over the last week I joined a few gardening Facebook groups and people are all over the place, of course, in their seed starting. I wanted to find out when other soilblockers were starting seeds, and find other Zone 3b gardeners, and see when they are starting their seeds.  Seeds seem to be sprouting early for me and I should keep that in mind and be prepared to tend to some of these starts outside and possibly uppotting. 

A good example of growing wicked fast would be my broccoli plants. 


It doesn't look like broccoli to me. 

It's so dang tall. 


I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with it.  Let it keep going?  Toss it out? Everything else in that tray is growing at a slower, sturdier rate. This tray was never put on a heat mat. I guess the plants really like the soil? 

These photos are from Feb. 23.  There is one plant for every different pepper now.  

Poinsettia pepper seeds are a few years old. I'm not surprised they are taking their sweet time. 


Lumbre (XXX-Hot) from my sister-in-law.


Carolina Reapers in the front.  I think those seeds came from MIGardener.  What a difference in germination from the last ones I planted. My first Carolina Reaper seeds were ordered from Baker Creek. 

Another photo from Feb. 23 of the broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower.



My lettuce greens. In another day or so I should be able to harvest them. This photo is also from Feb. 23. 



I'm wondering about this lettuce. I'm trying to decide if the lettuce should be bigger.  I'm also wondering about some parts of the lettuce leaves, too. They look dried out. I have been giving fertilizer.  Too much light? I know it's not heat!  Whenever I do decide to harvest them, I will enjoy them. 

I feel like I'm saying "I'm" a lot in this post.  Anywho, I'm wondering if I should start taking quick video clips of the seedlings now, rather than photos.  Or, maybe a combo of both things? 

Other this things weekend involved throwing Furby out. 

Not really throwing her out. She needed to be out in the sun, I though. 


I know she doesn't look too happy in this photo, but I assure you she was enjoying the sun.  She was leaning on her side. Her feathers were super warm when I picked her up. 

Speaking of Furby and her shenanigans.  *ahem* 


My husband and I noticed that she perks up when some music plays.  We thought we'd test this and tried playing "Purple Rain" for her.  I didn't get my phone out in time to record her stand up and move over so she could get closer to the music. 

A WIP was pulled out of hibernation, as well. The February Month to Month by Stitching with the Housewives. The lettering was worked on and I'm really close to getting the F done. 


Does anyone else have problems Classic Colorworks twisting and knotting up on them? It's so frustrating. 

Currently we are experiencing some crappy weather. 

It starting raining this morning and has gradually changed to snow.  


Fat, heavy snow flakes that will go over the ice and make travel horrible. 


Furby June does not approve. 






1 comment:

Becky G said...

I wouldn't even know what to tell you about your broccoli. Usually, tall, stringy plants like that mean they aren't getting enough light, but yours seem to be plenty bright. If it were me, I'd keep them and see what comes from them.