Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Snow storm .... blizzard?

 We have had such nice weather this last little bit.  False spring got me!

Last night it rained. This morning it was snowing. Weird weather. 

The driveway was so crappy I decided to keep my son home from school. There was no way he was going to get out the driveway. 

I tried driving his car.  Just backing up and I felt the car sink down in the the slushy, sloppy mess. 


Normally, I'm not one to be bested by weather. However, this stuff was yucky. 


Wind was howling and the snow was going sideways. 

Then, about noon, it stopped and the sun came out. 



Temperatures are supposed to steadily drop for the next few days.  Ice. Fun. ... 

However ... I have happy garden news. 


The first seeds for the garden have sprouted. My broccoli started popping up yesterday. I've been watching them break through the soil blocks and grow through out the day.  I'm not at all obsessed. 

Nothing for my pepper plants yet. I'll feel a lot better about them once I see them start sprouting.


Slowly, this green house is getting filled.


"What is that on top?" you may be wondering. 


Well, that's some lettuce. 


Back in January I spotted this all-in-one growing kit at Menards.  It was on sale for a wicked cheap price and I just had to give it a try. 


February 1 I watered the coco coir and sprinkled the seeds on top. 

On February 3 I saw the first little bits of green. By February 10 I was seeing true leaves.  Fun! 

It's so nice to see some green. 


Supposedly I can take the first harvest in 28 days. 


In the meantime I'm enjoying watching the mixed greens grow. 


The last several days I've been working on my Inspired by joy blanket.  Each side is now more than 120 stitches and takes me a lot longer than I think it should. 


I'm getting close to finishing off my first skein.  I'm so close to being done with the third part of this blanket.  Then *only* two more parts. 




4 comments:

Angelfire212 said...

We haven't had a good snow yet. Sometimes we get a cold snap at the end of February, but I don't think it's going to happen this year. I need to start seeds too! Our growing season is a long one, but I am always late.

Amnicon Studio said...

I am ready for the snow to be done, and gone.

It's never too late to start seeds, I say. Course I go into seed starting with a certain "it will all work out in the end" attitude towards seed starting. :-)

Becky G said...

Yay for green things! I never seem to have any luck growing things from seed, and really admire those who can. I might try some tomato plants this year, but I'm going to buy them already started.

Other than that one storm that came through right before Christmas, we haven't had any snow to speak of. But then, this is Mississippi!

Amnicon Studio said...

It took me a long to time get the knack to starting seeds. For such a simple thing it can be hard to accomplish.