Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Couple books ...

Since I've last posted I've listened to two audiobooks. Since I've gotten an MP3 player I've been requesting audiobook CDs from the library like crazy. I absolutely *love* listening to them when I go out on walks, while I knit or when I'm cleaning. They are *the bomb* (inside joke :-) ) Between those and podcasts I'm in Seventh Heaven :-)

The first one I listened to was "Life of Pi"
This book took a while for me to get into. It was such a slow start; explaining about the zoo, his family, and how Pi came to practice 3 religions. Then it seemed to move so quickly into the shipwreck. Then when it got to the part of him being in the lifeboat with Richard Parker it made me really think. I suppose this will be one of those books that will be a profound impact on my life but I'm not sure how just yet. When I got to the end I just stopped and thought about it. Then thought about it some more. I'm still thinking about it and it's been a few weeks since I've listened to it.

Ahhhh, but I digress, lol. I seen that there will be a movie made on this book. I wonder how close they will keep it to the original story. I'm sure the actors and the animals will be nothing like I've imagined them.

The next book I listened to was "The Red Tent"


Here is another book that I think will have a profound impact of me. What a wonderful story. I could not wait until the end. I found myself amazed at what women went through during biblical times. The hardships they had -- especially during labor and giving birth. Thank goodness for pain relief nowadays. I had always known that before modern times giving birth was somewhat like Russian roulette but this really opened my eyes to that aspect.

I cried right along with Dinah when she lost her love. I weeped when she gave birth and ultimately "lost" her son when he was sent to school. That would be absolutely awful to give birth to a child and not be acknowledged properly as the mother and treated like a second-class citizen. I got weepy-eyed when I realized she would eventually marry a carpenter. The ending was perfect too. I don't think the writer could have done a better ending.

On the needles I've got the third square of DS's blanket. I'm also going to make him a pair of mittens with extra long cuffs. One of the things that put a damper on winter fun last year was that his gloves didn't protect him like they should and he was always getting snow in his gloves/mittens. People in one of my knitting groups directed me to some great-looking mitten patterns that you make with two needles rather than in the round. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to work with DPNs again but I was thinking flat mittens would be quicker. Oh well, lol, we will see.

No comments: