Sunday, June 30, 2019

Living like Larry

Not long ago I said to my husband that it felt like I was trying to "live like Larry," this summer.  For those who aren't familiar with this phrase, it's from Spongebob Squarepants. 

What I meant was that I felt like I was trying to do all the things and have a great summer, but also try to cram it into the few nice summer days we have had so far. 

Once again, the weather in my area is not ideal. It's cooler, very damp and muggy feeling, with the chance of it feeling more gross as the day goes on. 

And now here we are, the end of June. I feel like school just let out. Someone at work mentioned the Fourth of July being next week and I went "What?"  Yes, it's next week. 

So ... what has happened this week? Well, not as much as I would have liked, I'll tell you that. 

Well, I take that back.  Sort of. My husband and I decided to sell off a large portion of our older flock. It looks like we will have a lot of hens starting to lay this fall and there is no way I can care for *all them birds.* There are plenty of young roos that will be going into the freezer this fall, too. 

A lot of our girls went to a summer camp about an hour away.  It was a delight to see all those kids excited to see chickens. The campers all crowded around my son, asking him dozens of questions and then proclaimed he knew *everything* there is to know about chickens after one of the hens started singing an egg song and he knew what was going on. 

Some point soon I'll need to post a full update on the animals.  

I celebrated my birthday this week.  This year's kind of a big deal.  I spent a lot of the day reflecting on how great my life has been, and hoping to have at least 40 more years of great times. 

When I walked into my office, a little goodie basket was waiting for me.  The people at my work are pretty awesome. 



One of my coworkers sent me a gorgeous book and something yummy to drink while I peruse and enjoy the beautiful images. 


Here's a few photos of the inside images. Chickens, one of my favorite things. 



Chickens and sheep together.  Squee!


This was the first photo I saw when I opened the book up.  How can you not smile back at a smiling sheep?



My husband bought me a little something from Hobby Lobby. I told him I didn't need more yarn, but I really liked the two mugs they put out.  He picked one up and threw some yarn in anyways.  It doesn't count if it is dishcloth yarn, right? 



I may go and get the other mug from Hobby Lobby though.  In the meantime, I'll throughly enjoy using this one.  I love it, because it's so accurate. 



A few others gave me money, so I could spoil myself.  I used the money my son gave me to treat myself at Dunk'n Donuts.



I haven't don't much crafting this week. I did get some time on on my vanilla sock.  Then I had to fight with turning the heel.  For some reason I kept getting the stitch count wrong and the heel wasn't shaping up in the middle.  Third time was a charm, after I pulled out my Sock Innovation book, by Cookie A. 


Vanilla socks
Needles: U.S. 1 (2.5 mm)
Date started: Beats me. 
Yarn: Knitpicks Felici
Colorway: "Dark Prism"


I put a progress marker in last Wednesday.  I was really hoping I'd have this sock done by the end of the week.  Maybe this weekend? 

I have the itch to start something different, but I can't decide what I want to do.  Scarf, shawl, ? 

When I was going through and downloading patterns earlier this week I spotted a bunch that I had forgotten about. I also saw lots of gorgeous sweater patterns and all the MMario shawls. 

But ... I'm also thinking I should pull out the spinning wheel and crank out some handspun. Someone posted Tour de Fleece on FaceB*ok the other day, and I sort of felt ashamed that I haven't touched my wheel in ages.  My goal has been to spin enough fiber to make a sweater.  I'm still learning how to spin woolen (I think that's the right one) so my yarn is going to be pretty authentically handspun.  I've read in a lot of places about people spinning sweaters that were too heavy because they spun the yarn worsted. 

On the weaving front, I pulled the two tea towels off the loom!



They haven't been wet set yet, so they still look a little rough.  After the wet set I'll trim the fringe and the woven in ends. One towel is longer than the other.  I'm still figuring out the whole warp length thing.  I made this one longer than what my math told me.  My guess is that I'm pulling up more than I thought for tying the warp knots. Not sure what I'll do with the little shorty. Maybe use it as a table topper. 

In other random life news I've been walking the circuit again. A few days ago I went out and almost died.  Not literally, but it was rough.  The warmest day of the season and I could feel a bit of the humidity creeping in. 



When I was walking I spotted this feather on the side of the road.  I don't recognize what bird it came from.  It's interesting how the feather was poked into the dirt, rather than laying on top. 



I also took some time to stop and enjoy the daisies. 



So cheerful!



Yesterday, on the way to work, I spotted a few wild turkeys crossing the road.  I stopped the car and pulled out my phone so I could (hopefully) take a video.  I saw there were babies and I wanted to get a video of them. 



After my last post one of my friends asked if I was stopping the podcasting.  I said I'm taking a break this summer.  With how crazy the season as already shown it self to be I don't know when I'd find the time to sit and record.  Plus, I'm never alone. This also means I will have to get over my whole nervousness of being in front of a camera again. I felt like I was getting into a pretty good rhythm with it all, too.  Thank you to everyone who gave me feedback on the episodes I've done already. 

No comments: