Friday, October 13, 2023

Friday works in progress update #7 for 2023

 I had intended to write a WIPs on Wednesday post.  Alas, ... it's been a bit of a week.  My close buds have heard me complaining about the rain putting me into a bit of a funk.  I like taking photos of my projects when we have decent outside light. 

There still isn't decent light because - shocker of all shocker-ey things - it's raining. Again. 

Last year I decided I was going to try making a crochet cardigan, after seeing a "My first cardigan" class on Craftsy. 

This year I finally took the plunge. 

Last night I finished the back.  



Project Name: My first crochet cardigan

Started: Sept. 30, 2023
Finished: 
Designer/Source: Craftsy or Lionbrand. 
Yarn: Lion Brand wool ease
Colors: Grey heather
Hook Size: H 5.0 mm
Made For: myself. 

I've got some mixed thoughts on this project because of the craftsy class. I haven't viewed all the videos yet.  A couple things I've had to look on the internet to figure out what I was supposed to do. Nothing personal against the instructor, but the more knowledgable I get with some of these crafts, the less impressed I am with some of the craftsy classes.  I remember when craftsy first came out and everyone thought it was the greatest thing.  I'm feeling kind of meh about it.  Definitely cancelling the subscription. 

The next part to work on will be the fronts.  I'm confident I'll be able to blaze through them.  What I'm not looking forward to is the sleeves.  I'm sure that's a universal feeling. 

Next, we have my snowflake cross stitch project. 




Project Name: #723 Snowflake

Started: Jan. 1, 2023
Finished: 
Designer/Source: Tiny Cross Stitches
Fabric: Aida cloth 14 count Hobby Lobby Zweigart. Aida has silver threads running through it. 
DMC floss in called for colors
747 ; 964 ; 995 ; 996 ; 3756 ; 3761 ; 3843 ; 3846 ; B5200
Colors: blues
Needle Size: 26
Made For: Myself. Maybe. I haven't decided yet if I want to give this away. 

I put this down a few months ago.  I got tired of working on blue.  Blue, blue and more blue.  I was pretty dedicated to it when I was working on it, and got a ton done. 

How it looked back in June: 



See, lots done since June. 


Patternkeeper is SO awesome. If it wasn't for patternkeeper I think I would have given up on this.  

I'm sure I'll make this one again, some time down the road, but I'll be using a single color rather than nine different shades of one color. 

Spinning ... 

I identify as a spinner so much, you'd be shocked at how little I actually spin fiber into yarn. It's pathetic, really. 

I've been working on the same fiber for years and years.  I bought ... two and a half pounds, maybe, years ago, with the intention of spinning enough fiber to knit a sweater for my husband.  I even picked out the pattern for an interweave knits.  Now i'm not sure I'd make that specific pattern because it's all kinds of cables and pretty bits.  

Anywho, I'm still spinning the fiber and I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with it. 


I probably haven't touched this since last year ... or maybe early this year? 

I was watching Dark Winds the last time I was spinning, and now I tie watching that show very strong with spinning.  So now I don't want to work on it unless I'm watching the show. 

The other night I pulled the spinning wheel out and got her all dusted, cleaned up and pretty. 


Now to just make the point of watching the show, right? 

Maybe when it's just a little bit more "fall" out? Sitting by the wood stove, with Dark Winds on, and spinning for like an hour at a time.  I have a goal of getting the fiber all spun up by the end of the year. 

Quilty things next ... 

I started the year with such good intentions with the Fat Quarter solids of the month club.   

And then ... nothing. 

I have four blocks done so far, and two blocks in progress. 








Project Name: Sandpiper quilt
Started: Jan. 21, 2023
Finished: 
Colors: A different color palette each month.
Made For: Myself

The last time I shared I had finished the blue one that is in the top photo, lower left. 

I have fabric for the next few months are all ironed and ready to go. I iron it really well and do my absolute best to keep things lined up. I figured I didn't need things to be super-duper precise, so no starching. 





Project Name: Dancing Stars
Started: 2023
Finished: 
Colors: A different color palette each month.
Made For: Myself

This is the quilt pattern suggestion for the 2022 Fat Quarter Shop solid fat quarter club. I had to buy a special ruler for this one. 

The fabric is being starched.  I feel precision is really important on this one. 


It's five quilt blocks for each month, and the pattern calls for all 12 colors in the monthly bundle. 

This project has been at a bit of a standstill.  Lots of ironing and making sure none of the colors are out of place. 

A couple weeks ago I had the great idea of using the liquid starch to starch a lot of the fat quarters at once. 










I used a jug of the sta-flo liquid starch at a 50/50 mixture and used almost all of the mixture.

There was hardly any left. 


 I starched 108 fat quarters in like half an hour.  It was amazing! 

Then, it wasn't so amazing. All the time I saved on starching I'm making up for in the ironing.  The fat quarters are SO wrinkled from my squeezing out the excess starch.  It's probably taking three times as long to iron because I need to steam and spray extra water to get all the wrinkles out. Ugh! 

The project is slow going due to my desire to iron all the fat quarters before I start working on it again. 

This quilting project I started ... oh who knows ... and it stalled almost right away. 


It's a project from the January 2022 sew sampler box from, you guessed it, Fat Quarter Shop. 



I have all the pieces cut out and almost ready to sew. I wanted to make the smaller size that is a wall hanging, and make it for my bedroom.  Since there's no pressure to get it done, it hasn't been worked on. 

Oh, I take it back. I did blog a bit about this when I first started it. 

Project Name: Daydreams lap quilt
Started: Feb. 5, 2023
Finished: 
Designer/Source: Fat Quarter Shop
Fabric: Beautiful Day collection by Corey Yoder
Made For: Myself. 

Since I basically cut it and forgot it, I didn't remember it! Heh, funny how that works. 

*ahem*

And as I type this I remember that in the spring time I decided I wanted a pretty spring-ish project bag.  I got as far as ironing the fabric.  No cutting for pieces, though.  Would it count as a work in progress if it's only been ironed? 


1 comment:

Angelfire212 said...

It all counts! LOL! This reminds me that I have a quilt that I started, but put down because the squares weren't working out correctly. I cut everything, sewed the seams correctly, but the blocks were still too small. That will be for another day, once I get my machine set up.