Thursday, October 19, 2023

Sharing what makes you happy

 This morning I felt a burst of creative energy and decided to make myself something pretty in the small amount of time before work. 

Recently I've been itching to make something outside my wheelhouse. I don't know what I've been watching lately that caused the desire to make pretty, shiny things to go with my cross stitching. Floss drops, thread charms, floss jewelry, whatever you want to call it, I want to make it. 

Anyways, this morning I decided it was time to make myself a scissor fob with some beads I recently purchased. 

Making the scissor fob took a bit longer than I thought it would.  I kept stringing beads on the beading wire, then taking them off and trying different arrangements.  

Before I knew it, my clock was chiming (or bird calling) the hour and I was in the midst of finishing off the fob.  I was struggling to tighten the bead wire and making sure the beads were snug against each other before crimping the crimping bead.  

I was so pleased with the finished product that I immediately snapped a photo and shared it on my social media. 


Am I a beading newbie? Yes. Years back I thought I'd give beading and jewelry making a try so I could make my own pretty stitch markers. It was a fairly quick phase I went through.  At the time, I thought the stitch markers I made weren't very good in comparison to what I was seeing other people make, so I stopped making them.

Also, at that time the only place I could purchase beads from was a big box store that didn't have a very large selection of supplies.  More than a decade later this is still true. If I want anything that isn't basic I either have to drive across the bridge and go up on the hill or order something online. 

My stitch marker-making hobby was pretty much over almost as quick as it started, thanks to my lack of confidence in something brand new to me and feeling like what I was creating wasn't good enough and never would be. All I needed was some practice. On social media all I could see was that people were making beautiful things and mine just didn't compare. 

I should also mention this time period was also at the start of social media websites, and everyone was excitedly sharing things on Instagram and Facebook.

It's too bad that I didn't hear Angela Walter's words of encouragement at that time.  Granted, she's coming from a quilting background, but it applies to all sorts of things. Her list of things to stop doing, so you can enjoy the process of your creating more, and her reiteration of comparison being the thief of joy really resonated with me when I first saw her video 4 years ago, or so. 

1. Stop comparing your worst to everyone else's best. 

2. Stop pointing out your own mistakes. 

3. Don't forget the purpose of your project.

The point I'm trying to get to is this: Don't think your creation is lacking just because you are new to creating that particular thing and it doesn't look like what you see on social media. Be proud of what you have created with your own two hands. Don't be afraid to share your work and what makes you happy.  You never know who you may inspire. 


No comments: