Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Why I can never be a midnight quilter

 Last night I decided to work on my current quilt in progress. I decided to participate in the "Cozy Things" quilt along, hosted by Pat Sloan. 

I just barely kept up with this one. I completed the last square less than a week after it was released. 


I decided to use some scrap Christmas fabrics I had in stash. I think all the squares turned out beautifully. 

Anywho, I decided to start working on the sashing (I think it is called). I chose a nice red fabric with little gold stars on it.  I didn't have enough fabric for it to go all around, but there is enough to go where it counts, I think. 

I was done sewing all the squares and sashing together when I noticed something was seriously wrong. 


Ugh! What happened? At first look, I had no idea.  All my squares are the correct size. 


Then I saw it. 



Two pieces of my sashing are the wrong size. Gah! Maybe half an inch too small. 


Fortunately I had enough of the fabric for cutting two more pieces out. I waited until today to get the seam ripper and tear it all out. It wasn't even 10 p.m. 

This morning I went out and made my rounds to check on all the animals. 

I spotted some prints that don't belong. 



Bobcat or Fox? I don't know. 


The tracks went right next to the little coop and towards the house and I spotted tracks under the rabbit hutch. No wonder Thor was happy to see me this morning. 


These tracks are right next to my deck stairs.  They went right along the deck, over to the rabbits and then up the path that we've made towards the big coop.  The tracks went off towards the woods.  

I kept the coop closed up today.  The flock didn't seem to mind it much.  It wasn't sunny out, and there's snow on the ground.  My birds have always disliked walking on snow. I was telling a friend today how I see instagram photos of chickens out and about in the snow, looking like they are having the time of their lives.  My birds always give snow dirty looks, refuse to go past the door entrance, and if they do get put out in the snow, they stand there, frozen and pathetic looking.

Life with chickens is never dull. 


No comments: