Wednesday, January 18, 2023

First Works In Progress post of the year

 I had the first week of January off.  That was good, except for having to deal with the snow.  

When I went back to work it basically hit me sideways in a sneak attack of tech issues, a surprise early deadline, and a last minute "Hey, this needs to get into the paper." 

I was so mentally drained each day that I didn't do much of anything except sit and watch television. 

When I did work on something I mostly worked on the Inspired by Joy blanket



I finished part two this past weekend.  Or, maybe Friday. ... 

I love how it's turning out.  I'm learning new things.  I will say (and this may be unpopular) I am not very keen on the way the crochet-along videos are done.  The host goes too fast for me and he's going with different colors so I'm having a hard time figuring out some of what he's doing, because he decides to do color changes when the pattern doesn't call for it. 

Project Name: Inspired by Joy
Started: Dec. 26, 2022
Finished: 
Designer/Source: The Crochet Crowd
Yarn:
Color A - Red Heart - White
Color B - Caron One Pound - Rose 
Color C - Caron Jumbo - Rosewood
Colors: white and rose colors with hints of green.
Required Amount: I purchased two skeins of each color
Needle/Hook Size: 5.5 mm /  I/9
Gauge: beats me ; pattern calls for 13 dc x 6 rows = 4″ [10 cm]
Made For: Myself, maybe
Dye Lots: Will find that out later.

I haven't touched Edna since I last wrote. 

I did a bit of work on my #723 snowflake cross stitch


Marking a grid on the fabric has been immensely helpful. Especially with the bit of confetti stitches within the pattern. I was working on this a bit last night, and thought this snowflake would probably look fantastic in all white on black fabric. Or, maybe a silver thread? 

Project Name: #723 Snowflake
Started: Jan. 1, 2023
Finished: 
Designer/Source: Tiny Cross Stitches
Fabric: Aida cloth 14 count Hobby Lobby Zweigart. Aida has silver threads running through it. 
DMC floss in called for colors
747 ; 964 ; 995 ; 996 ; 3756 ; 3761 ; 3843 ; 3846 ; B5200
Colors: blues
Needle Size: 26
Made For: Myself

Last weekend I started a new chart from Stitching with the Housewives




Started: Jan. 15, 2023
Finished: 
Fabric: Aida cloth 14 count Hobby Lobby Zweigart.
Floss: Using called for Classic Colorworks fancy floss
Colors: Black, pink, red, teal, green
Needle Size: 26
Made For: Myself


I'm trying to decide if I like working with fancy floss or not. The black color keeps knotting up on me. I've worked a little with Forbidden Fiber Co floss previously and it was a joy to work with.  

I haven't touched my spinning wheel yet this month. 

I completed the chart for my Valentine's stitch.  


I'm happy with how it turned out.  I still need to FFO it.  I'm thinking of making it into a pillow. Hopefully, I will FFO it this week. 


Project Name: Happy Valentine's Day SAL Chart is only available in the group. 
Started: Jan. 1, 2023
Finished: Jan. 7, 2023
Designer/Source: Cherry Hilly Stitchery Chart is only available in the group. 
Fabric: 14 count aida I dyed aquamarine 
Floss: Called for DMC and recommended DMC for the substitutions for fancy floss.
B5200 ; 310 ; 321 ; 3345 ; C816 (A floss I included in case I want to add a bit of sparkle
Stitch count: 77w x 58 h
Size: 4 5/6”w x 3 5/8”h on 16ct/equivalent.
Needle Size: size 26


I started a pair of socks. I've worked on the first sock mostly in the car and for minutes at a time in the early a.m. 


I have 6.5" of the leg completed.  About 1.5" more and I can start the heel flap. 

Project Name: Vanilla socks
Started: Jan. 7, 2023
Finished: 
Designer/Source: My own pattern
Yarn: Patons Kroy sock yarn
Colorway: Mexicala stripes
Colors: oranges, red, purples and a smatter of blue and white
Required Amount: Two skeins of sock yarn. 100 grams
Needle/Hook Size: U.S. 1 (2.25 mm)
Gauge: beats me
Made For: Myself
Dye Lots: WL238520

On other news, I've collected them all! I think. Back on New Year's Eve I decided to put an order in on Hobby Lobby.com, to fill the gaps of the colors I didn't have. Hobby Lobby's website had a "Free shipping" promo if you bought $40 or more. I still had to pay a $3 shipping company surcharge, or whatever it was called.  I wasn't too happy about that. And I'm even more annoyed I had to pay it because it took two weeks for the DMC floss to be delivered. 


This is a few skeins over 100 skeins.  Doesn't seem very impressive in the bag. 

Then I spread them out and took a photo. 



Much prettier. Too bad I can't display them in such a manner. 

I spent the evening sorting and organizing the floss in my collection that wasn't already kitted up with a chart. 

I should have all the colors in the collection, save a few of the etoile and most of the DMC floss that is "fancy" pearlescent, and the like. 


I've been thinking hard about how to organize the floss so I can easily tell if I have a skein of this or that.  Previously I've been using the sew sampler boxes and putting a portion of the collection in a box.  I am still digging through skeins and skeins of floss to find a particular one.  Definitely too much time. 

I asked in a Facebook group how people stored their floss, and I did some looking online. 

I finally settled on flossaway bags and stackable tote containers. 



This is maybe half of the flosses. I had to order more bags.  This is going to work so much better than my old system. 



2 comments:

Becky G said...

You're getting a lot accomplished! I love the colors of the sock, too.

I totally understand the bit about not wanting to do anything but sit at the end of a work day. That's me every day!

Amnicon Studio said...

The sock colors are such a pleasant surprise. I'm loving the wide bands of color.

Last week I was so drained from the work day. I'm trying to catch up on rest and sleep.