Sunday, January 1, 2023

A quiet start to the new year

 I made it to just after 11 p.m., I think.  It was later than I thought I'd be up. So ... go me? 

Someone decided to call my husband's phone at 2 a.m., and it freaked me out.  You know late night phone calls like that are usually not good. The caller ID said it was from Jean, Nevada. I don't know anyone from that area. So I didn't answer it. Then checked my phone to make sure no one had tried to call me.

Once my heart rate slowed down I was able to fall back to sleep and sleep until just before 8. 

It's been a nice quiet day.  I've been busy, though. 

I decided to dye up some aida fabric and grid another piece of aida fabric.  Then I figured I'd write this blog post.  It will only have current WIPs.  If I decided to post the things I want to start, too, this would probably take me several hours. 

Cue the triumphant trumpets. ... or something like that. 

Everyone remembers Edna? 


Project Name: Edna goes to brunch
Started: early July 2022
Finished: 
Designer/Source: Lindy Stitches
Fabric: 32 count Mint Splash Lugana by Zweigart
Floss: I'm using the called-for colors in DMC
Stitch count: 133 x 96s
Size: 8.3" x 6"
Needle Size: size 28

Yes, I'm still plodding along.  Counting every stitch. I'm pretty close to finishing page 1 of 2. 

I was keeping the project on my Hope stand when I wasn't working on it. However, I noticed some dust from the wood stove was landing on the fabric.  Now it lives in a project bag I made last year. 



Next up is the Inspired by Joy crochet blanket.  I'm following the tutorials by Mikey of the Crochet crowd. 


Project Name: Inspired by Joy
Started: Dec. 26, 2022
Finished: 
Designer/Source: The Crochet Crowd
Yarn:
Color A - Red Heart - White
Color B - Caron One Pound - Rose 
Color C - Caron Jumbo - Rosewood
Colors: white and rose colors with hints of green.
Required Amount: I purchased two skeins of each color
Needle/Hook Size: 5.5 mm /  I/9
Gauge: beats me ; pattern calls for 13 dc x 6 rows = 4″ [10 cm]
Made For: Myself, maybe
Dye Lots: Will find that out later.

This is a crochet-along.  First part was released on Dec. 26, and the rest of the parts will be released on the following Mondays.  This is my first time doing something other than easy crochet.  It's been a trip. Took me a lot longer than I thought to finish the first part.  The pattern has a lot of texture in it, and then the first part there was a bit of a goof in the tutorial, so I had to discern what he was trying to explain, without actually seeing it. It's giving my brain a bit of a work out. 

When I'm not working on it, it's living in a tote. 


Up next is a cross stitch chart I recently purchased from Etsy




Project Name: #723 Snowflake
Started: Jan. 1, 2023
Finished: 
Designer/Source: Tiny Cross Stitches
Fabric: Aida cloth 14 count Hobby Lobby Zweigart. Aida has silver threads running through it. 
DMC floss in called for colors
747 ; 964 ; 995 ; 996 ; 3756 ; 3761 ; 3843 ; 3846 ; B5200
Colors: blues
Needle Size: 26
Made For: Myself

I took the time to grid this fabric up with a fabric marker that disappears with water.  I spent some time on youtube looking for ways to grid fabric and came across this gal's tutorial. Her youtube handle is Stitching Jules. 


The floss is so pretty all mini-skeined up. 




Project Name: Happy Valentine's Day SAL Chart is only available in the group. 
Started: Jan. 1, 2023
Finished: 
Designer/Source: Cherry Hilly Stitchery Chart is only available in the group. 
Fabric: 14 count aida I dyed aquamarine 
Floss: Called for DMC and recommended DMC for the substitutions for fancy floss.
B5200 ; 310 ; 321 ; 3345 ; C816 (A floss I included in case I want to add a bit of sparkle
Stitch count: 77w x 58 h
Size: 4 5/6”w x 3 5/8”h on 16ct/equivalent.
Needle Size: size 26


I originally thought I'd stitch this on white aida.  Then I saw someone's photo in the group and they had pink hand-dyed aida and I though "ooo!" 

I have no pink or red rit dye and I wanted to do something today.  I thought aquamarine would be fun. Fabric was still damp when I took the photo. I can't wait to see how much it lightens up when it is fully dry. 

If I don't like how it looks I will rip it out and save the fabric for something else.  I will introduce the rest of the projects as I start them. 

My last WIP is some fiber that I've had on the spinning wheel for several years. Each year I participate in a spinning even and I've been spinning that same fiber. This is the year I wrap it up!

This is an old photo so you can see what the color is. It's Grey Corriedale.


I don't know how much I have left, but it's got to be less than a pound.  Half a pound? I don't know. I'm getting so close to being done! Then I'll figure out the yarn weight and I can start a sweater with it. 

Meanwhile, Miss Furby June was been in a mood all day.  At one point I booted her outside for a bit and I don't think it cooled off her little attitude. 


She's been scratching in her tote all day, making a mess of things.  She's kicking pine shavings into her food and water dishes.  I can't tell you how many times I've cleaned her dishes out. 


My little brat regrets nothing.  


No comments: