Saturday, December 31, 2022

New Year's Eve 2022

 New Year's Eve.  Gosh this year went fast. The last two months feel like a blur. 

The last few days I've been busy with house and farm stuff, so I could take it easy this weekend. Work had an early publishing day so I had to crank things along earlier than usual.  

My area had a warm up this past week so I took advantage of it and cleaned out the coop.  

But first I had to shovel a path to get to the wheelbarrow.  And the compost pile. 


Can you see that black square-looking thing?  That's my wheelbarrow. Buried in snow that was up past my knees.  If you look to the left you will see my jacket, my sweater, and my hat.  As I was shoveling I was gradually shedding layers.  That's how warm it was. 

"Why didn't you use the snowblower?" I bet you are thinking.  Well, I have garden hoses hanging from the tree on the right, and I didn't know where they were under the snow.  With my luck, I'd have sucked a hose up in the the snow blower and then have to spend the next hour cutting it out.

While I was shoveling the path I opened up the coop and the pen doors.  Some of the bird high-tailed it outside right away, checking out the coffee grounds I had tossed on the ground to help prevent slipping and falling. 


You can see the top of the tree that broke and fell during the last snow storm. It's the reason I had to shovel a path on the other side of the coop. 

I moved the feed and the water bowl out to the pen so the birds would have a place to nibble while I was shoveling out the coop. 



They were so happy to be outside. 

Then there were some who decided they wanted to stay in bed. Or something. 



These girls were so happy the coop was being mucked out.  No more wet shavings for them! 


I have to tell you about this little girl.  She comes to greet me every time I open the coop door.  I'd say she's at the bottom of the pecking order.  She's also the smallest of the flock. 


She'll let me pick her up and pet her and she rarely makes a sound. She's always seems happy to see me. 

For a while I thought she had an injury, but I never figured out what was going on. 



I was trying to take a photo of her and she kept bopping her head around, trying to figure out the phone. 



I figure she needs a name, but I haven't come up with anything yet. 

Yesterday I spent some time out in the she shed, cleaning and organizing stuff and pulling flosses and kitting up some cross stitch charts I want to start up in the new year. 


I started a fire in the wood stove.  It was so much fun sitting  out there, enjoying the fire and watching blue jays and crows at the feed pile/station we set up in the back yard.  I should have taken a photo of all those blue jays.

Today has been a quiet day.  I slept in. Then I bummed around the house for a while and watched youtube with Furby for a bit. My hubby and I ran to town to get groceries and I picked up a few flosses at Wal*mart.  I spent the evening doing some self-care, and before I knew it, it was after 8 p.m.

This year my son is out celebrating New Year with his girlfriend. My hubby was up at the crack of dawn, so he turned in early.  It's just me and Furby right now and I think she's asleep.  Ha! 



She heard me creeping towards her and she opened her good eye. 

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new year.  2022 had some tough times for me.  Those who know, know.  But let me tell you, having a teenager is not for faint of heart. Growing pains abound!

From looking on Flosstube and the few glances on instagram I've learned it's a *thing* to an occasional WIP parade, and show what the potential future projects may be.  I reckon I'll start the new year with a current WIP post.  There aren't too many at this time.  I'm a monogamous crafter, for the most part.  I'd like to have something in all the hobbies going. Grand plans and all.  We'll see if I'm able to do it. 

Soooo .... here's to the new year. Cheers! 


Oh! I almost forgot -- I have a finish! 

I made an Autopilot cowl/scarf for my son's girlfriend.  I asked him if she worse scarfs or anything.  He said yes, and that she was fashionable.  I already knew she liked pink.  It was just a matter of finding a yarn.  

I cranked this out fairly quick. I decided to make it just a few days before Christmas. 


It turned out so nice and the yarn was super soft. 

This is the yarn label since I'm too lazy to type out the information. 




No comments: