Friday, June 20, 2008

Learn from your mistakes ...

Last night I tried overdyeing some dishcloth yarn using the hot pour method and a crock pot. I used the wilton food colors. I let it "cook" for a while, then shut it off and let it cool over night.

I woke up to find that the water had blue in it when last night it was almost clear. I tried rinsing the excess dye and to my horror, my loverly blues and lavendars turned to a rosie rougish color. :-(

I have found out since then that I should have used the wrong type of dye for the type of fiber I was using.

Live and learn ... but now I know and I have an excuse to buy some wool yarn and play around a bit since I have a pretty good idea of what I want now. Either that or buy some rit, but then I don't dare use my crockpot, lol.

No comments: