Saturday, June 21, 2008

Spinning ...

Things have been going good knitting wise so I thought I would start up my spinning again.

Well, also this Tuesday a woman is coming to my LYS with a couple spinning wheels and is gonna do a demonstration. I'm really excited for it and cannot wait. Not only is this a chance for someone to guide me through my drop spindling and let me know if I'm doing it correctly, but I can try out a spinning wheel.

DH knows I kind of have an itch for a spinning wheel now so he's gonna start keeping an eye out. Meanwhile I should start studying up on what would be a good wheel for me.

I want a wheel that will spin a various range of thicknesses. I suppose sock to DK.

But I need to learn what all the different parts of a wheel are. I do know I want a treadle wheel. But don't know if a double treadle is better than a single treadle.

Oh there is so much to learn. But if I can get the hang of my drop spindle I know that will be able to tide me over for a while until I find a wheel.

So if anyone has any suggestions for a newbie wannabe wheel spinner please drop me a note :-)

With this all in mind I decided to joined the ravelry group "10 Minutes a day". I really want to spin more. I figured this is a great way to get a routine down.

I managed to spin for more than 10 minutes this evening while DS was awake and he didn't bother the fiber or the drop spindle. That made me super happy and I'm hoping I will be able to do it more while he's away rather than waiting til he's asleep.

No comments: