Friday, November 10, 2023

End of the week catch up and a finished project!

 I took Thursday and Friday off of work.  I felt the need for a break and to clear some things off the plate.  I knew I was getting into a mood. There hasn't been a lot of downtime lately. 

Yesterday I took care of  several things that I've been meaning to do for a while. 

One was ironing the last of the fat quarters for the Dancing Stars quilt. Now I can start cutting it up for the squares.  


Another, less sexy, project that I've been holding off on was to make a cover for our new smoker. 


I'll be the first to say it is not my best work.  I didn't have a pattern, or anything to work off of.  I stuck that welding blanket on the smoker and drew lines and sewed. 

I thought I was super clever with what I was doing, until I got to a part where I realized I wasn't nearly as clever as I thought. *sigh* and I had to cut the fabric. ... 

The cover is almost all done.  A hold for the vents in the back needs to be cut out.  I have the fabric all stitched and ready for the hole to be cut. 



This week I received some fun mail. Someone sent me a goody box full of sock yarn. All Forbidden Fiber Co yarn. 


It's all so PRETTY! 

I have books full of sock patterns that have barely been made. 

I chose this skein of yarn for my journey back into patterned sock-making. 


  The colorway is "Tale as old as time," on the Fortitude base.

I decided to go with the Monkey sock pattern, by Cookie A.   It's a simple lacework pattern and I probably need something easy to start out with. 

Then I yarn-caked that skein of squishy goodness, and admired it. 


Maybe my favorite moment of the last couple days is when I sewed on the last button of my crochet cardigan!

I admired my handiwork and then tried it on.

It fits a bit close, but I'm optimistic it will stretch out a bit.


The important thing is that I would wear this outside the house, in public. To me, that is what's most important. If I didn't like how it turned out, it would be a only-in-the-house-cardigan.

Today I gave it a nice soak and it's still drying in front of the wood stove.



Project Name: My first crochet cardigan

Started: Sept. 30, 2023
Finished: Nov. 9, 2023
Designer/Source: Craftsy or Lionbrand. 
Yarn: Lion Brand wool ease
Colors: Grey heather
Hook Size: H 5.0 mm
Made For: myself. 

I am no longer afraid to make a crochet sweater or cardigan.  I've worried because my crochet tension is not always consistent. I'm definitely feeling more confident with my crochet. 

2 comments:

Becky G said...

The cardigan turned out really nice!

I love all of Leah's yarn. Her color ways are so pretty.

Amnicon Studio said...

Thanks! I'm so happy with the cardigan I decided I'm going to make another one. Different color, of course :-)