Thursday, March 17, 2016

Baby chicks and a snow storm, oh my!

The first thing my husband said to me this morning was "We got more babies!"  I'd like to say I hopped out of bed and ran over to check them out.  It didn't quite happen like that.  But I did get up and take a look-see. 

Babies! Babies everywhere!  Nine more chicks hatched out during the night.  I let them stay in the brooder until they were dry and fluffed out.  This ended up being a good thing because of some snow storm aftermath by the way of heavy snow hitting the power lines in my area, and causing power outages.  The power kept flickering off and on. At one point our power was out for at least 15 minutes.  This cause me some worry because of the chicks being so fresh and damp.

Thankfully we have power backup so I worked a few things around and the babies were fine. My son kept going and peeking through the viewer holes on the incubator and letting me know when more hatched out.


I took some time this morning to survey the land near the house.  It was a winter wonderland out there.


I am amazed at how much snow stuck to the trees. 


The chicken coop.  I could hear the ladies bustling about in the coop. 


Every so often the wind would knock a bunch of snow off a tree.  It looked like it was snowing but it was just the trees. 


We did have some branches get knocked off the trees. 


View from the road.


My house seems tiny compared to those trees.

I tried to take a video with my digital camera.  I'm not sure where the noise is coming from. It was a bit windy out. 


I know some of my friends have been waiting for first photos of the babies.  Here they are!


We don't have a red light district. We have a blue light district.


Checking out a pine shaving. 


Hanging out at the corner, I guess. 


Solicitation, maybe? 


Still looking at the pine shaving.  "What IS this thing?"


 "I dare you to eat it."


Everyone is chilling.  Breaking out is hard work, guy. 


Snuggle time!


They are so stinking cute!


Baby needs some quiet time. 


All settling in for a nap, I think. 


Yup, out for the count.


This little one was so exhausted from partying so hard, it passed out like a rock star.  Just imagine a little bottle of Jack tucked under it's wing.


Meanwhile, in the incubator ... more are hatching out.  


While I was sitting at my computer I could hear the babies in the incubator cheeping away.  All the babies in the brooder were quiet and happy.  They were running all over and I could hear the pat-pat-pat of their feet on the paper.

Daily 5 things of the day that made me happy

1. So many babies!

2. I made my son happy but loading a bunch of music on his phone.

3. Not having to go out in the snow this morning.

4. Rice packs.

5. Using a real camera, for a change.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

All those babies!! They are so adorable :-) How many left to hatch?