Tuesday, July 15, 2014

A new "hobby"

After a fairly quiet day at work I picked my son up and we headed home.  About a mile from home, along a new route, I spotted a young black bear by the side of the road. I stopped, put the car in reverse and took a look at it.  My son was eager to see it.

It's funny, you'd think we wouldn't get geeked out about a bear because they come traipsing in our yard all the time. However, this just seemed different.

After I went back to look at the bear he decided he was shy and hit behind the brush


After a bit I think the bear determined we weren't going to rush out of the car with guns blazing and run after him, he moseyed over a bit and pretended he was going to climb a tree. 


Yeah, I guess that was a highlight of the day.

During a fairly quiet evening I harvested some more snap peas and lettuce out of the garden.  It is really great to be able to walk a couple hundred feet and pick fresh greens.

My new "hobby" is that I decided to check out essential oils. After deciding I wanted to try a "natural" bug repellent I started looking around on the internet about essential oils and decided I wanted to give them a try.

The first batch of oils came tonite. 


Researching essential oils is not easy. I did a lot of reading, asking questions of my friends and as luck would have it, listening to podcasts where guests were discussing essential oils. Thanks to this episode of the Survival mom radio podcast, I settled on which essential oils to get. Thanks to this episode of the Chicken Whisperer podcast, I felt comfortable enough to actually order the oils.

I settled on Plant Therapy essential oils and ordered some through Amazon.

Since my guy has been sick the last week I ordered some of the germ fighter synergy (which is comparable to Thieves Oil) and massaged some on his feet. As soon as I went to mix the oil with a carrier I realized I need to order some empty bottles for mixing.  In any case, I'm eager to see if this has any effect on him.  I don't think he minds being my guinea pig because he's getting a pretty nice foot massage out of the deal. I have a few friends who swear by this particular essential oil.

So, yeah. ... I also got a mess of books from the library today on aromatherapy and herbal medicine.  I'm going to be busy for a while with all that. 




Daily 5 things of the day that made me happy

1. My guy doesn't mind being my guinea pig. 

2. Buck let my son pick him up today.

3. How blue the sky was this afternoon, with the big fluffy white clouds

4. Seeing a bear that *wasn't* on my property. 

5. How quiet work was today. 


No comments: