Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The butcher's wife

On Saturday we processed the last seven of our guinea fowl.  It was my first time actually helping with the process.

We did some reading and tweaked the process of how we did the butchering a bit.  Dishsoap in the hot water does wonders!

This is the first time a closeup of the guineas could be taken. They have a face only a mother could love.  

The birds were kept in the coop so we wouldn't have to chase them around the yard.

 I held the majority of the birds as their lives ended.  To hold them as the birds went through the motions of the last moments of life was a very profound time for me and gives new respect to where my meat comes from.

My guy plucked most of the feathers, cleaned the birds and then handed them off to me.  I finished cleaning the birds and packed them up.

Sunday we had one for dinner.  My guy found a recipe for guinea and it is fantastic!

I titled this entry "the Butcher's wife" because one of the priests  I work with was asking me questions about the birds I raise.  When he asked if I ate any of them I told him yes and started to explain who did what but the priest held his hands up and didn't want to know details. He then said that I could be called the butcher's wife.  I thought about it and said "Yeah, I guess you could say that."

Some mild crafting has been done.  I've been crocheting some dishcloths.  Making the dishcloth for the swap I did got me in the mood to make a few more dishcloths.

In the meantime Sweet'ums is feeling just fine.

The other big news I have?  The baby chicks are out of the house!  I decided I couldn't take it anymore and they have now been moved out to the garage.  They seem to be much more happy out there.

Today I made it home just in time before the rain started.  The clouds were looking pretty dark and ominous on the way home.

The garden is still kicking along.  The squash plants have invaded pole bean territory. I've got cuke blossoms and I'm biding my time until my tomatoes turn red.  

The power company came through yesterday and laid the underground line.  However, they had to take their heavy machinery to another worksite (they say) before "tidying" up after themselves.   The big rocks they dug up, definitely old foundation pieces.  I've been promised "They'll be back."

 Daily 5 things of the day that made me happy

1. The brunch at work was a big success.

2. I ate lamb for the first time tonite and it wasn't completely horrid.

3.  My herbs are growing nicely.

4. I have my craftroom back

5. My guy's cold is almost completely gone.

No comments: