Friday, June 12, 2020

Peacefulness before more farm yard issues

Last night, about 2 a.m.,Shadow decided it was time to thump the song of her people.  It seems I'm the only one who hears this.  Must be the mommy senses.  In any case, she kept me awake from 2 a.m. to about 3:30 a.m.

It made for a bit of a tough wake up, especially when I was planning to hit the flowage for fishing early in the morning. 

After wrangling the boy out of bed, and getting some food in his gullet, we were on the road.  

It was a bit cool this morning.  Temperatures were in the 50s Fahrenheit. We were also the first people on the flowage.  This almost never happens.  


The wild berries are flowering. 


Getting everything set up and ready to go. 


Off they go ... 






We all went out to claim our own spots.  I found a spot and had my breakfast.  A peanut butter and raspberry jam sandwich. 


So peaceful.



The fish weren't biting, unfortunately, so my son decided to have an adventure and kayaked to the island in the middle of the flowage. 

We could hear him chattering away and breaking brush. 

When it was time to head back, he had a bit of a time getting through the brush and ended up taking a dip in the drink when he was looking for the spot he parked his kayak. 

A few of the snaps he sent me. 




All in all, it was a good morning. 

As we pulled into the driveway, my son said "Who is that?  (Or what is that. I don't remember exactly) Both my husband and I glanced over into the trees at the front of the yard.  We saw two animals. 

This isn't good, guys. 

The freaking fox (or a different one, but I'm sure it's the same freaking one) came back. 

It had our big roo.

The fox saw us, knew what was coming, (which was us coming after it) and it bolted across the street and into the neighbors yard.  Our roo came running towards my husband and basically collapsed in his arms. We looked him over very carefully.  No blood.  Lots of missing feathers.  Nothing felt broken. My husband carried him back to the coop and the pen area, and set him down.  Our Roo stood for a bit, obviously in shock.  We had to catch the loose hens and secure them again. 

We don't know what happened or how the pen once again got open. My husband made sure the bits are closed over and everything was snug. 

All we know is that our boy is hurting.  


Then hens stayed around him and kept him company.  Our other roo, K2, stayed alert and kept a watchful eye on everything. 

We will have a better idea, I suppose, tomorrow.  He seems alert and he can walk.  He moves his wings.  He's just very still and is keeping his head down. It will be an amazing thing if he does come through and survives a fox attack.  I think him having a lot of fluffy feathers, especially around his neck, was a bit of a saving grace for him. 

We've been checking on him, off and on. 

So ... yeah ... that put a damper on the day.  

The rest of the afternoon was sort of a bust.  To keep my mind off of what was going on, we all went out and hit a different lake for a few hours.  My son has sunburn.  My shoulders are sore from kayaking against the wind and my husband didn't have to clean fish. Again. 

The rest of the my evening I've been watching tv, cross stitching, and checking in on the roo. 

The temperature dropped quite a bit this evening.  I think it's supposed to get down in the  40s.  Yikes! It's nearly the middle of June. No more cold nights!

Shadow and the babies are doing well.  


No comments: