Tuesday, April 15, 2014

An unexpected vacation

Today I also received a message wondering if I was okay and a text message along those lines.

I took a look at my blog and realized that it had been a little more than a week since my last blog entry.  Oops.

About a week ago, or so, the weather turned nice, my wrist felt better so I started knitting, and the family started listening to an audio book or two.  I guess that all meant that I spent next to no time on the Internet and I didn't even realize it.

I hope this reassures those that were wondering where I was.  I'm fine, the family is fine, the chicks are fine.

In fact, tomorrow I'm supposed to pick up five brand new babies! We are all pretty excited for it. In addition, the eggs Elvis is sitting on are due to hatch around April 20 (Easter).  I still need to get the brooder box ready for the new additions. 

Okay, so what has happened in the last week ...

Since the weather turned nice and melted so much of the snow we didn't get to "play" with the wood pile too much.  It was too wet out.

This past weekend we went down to Rice Lake and stocked up on chicken supplies and went grocery shopping and saved a ton of money at Aldi's.  I am in perpetual amazement at how much stuff you can get at Aldi's for $100. 

 We let the big girls outside the chicken pen for the first time this season.  They loved it!


Brewster did a very good job of protecting and keeping an eye out for danger.  I have a feeling, and my DH agrees with me, that Brewster isn't used to walking out on ground.  He has a bit of a funny walk. Me thinks he didn't spend much time outside in his old home.  He is still a pretty young guy though, so it's possible.

We do need to keep a close eye on them when they are out now.  This weekend we heard a pair of owls out in the jack pines.  This morning my DH spooked a raccoon in the yard.

One thing that happened that I'm really, really excited about is we ordered a new kitchen table. It is supposed to be delivered this week.

For knitting, I picked up the baby surprise jacket that I had started back in January.  I'm almost done with it.  I have all the knitting done. All that is left is to seam the sleeves.


This sweater *is* magic! I thought it needed to fold up different way than it does and as soon as I realized how it went my jaw just might have dropped a little.  It's so cool!  

Took me what feels like forever to knit though. Lots of counting and recounting to make sure stitch count was right.  I did a quick search and came across a set of YouTube videos that I wish I had known about before I started the sweater. The seaming video can be found here.

 I am bummed about one thing, all the stripes are on the back.  I'll know better for next time, if there is a next time.  I'm actually not sure who this one will go to.  I need someone around me to have a baby.  Otherwise, I will hold onto it until one of the nieces has a baby.

 
 
We are listening to two audio books right now.  The one we are listening to in the house is "Horde" by Ann Aguirre.  This is the last of a trilogy and I'm eager to hear how it ends.

In the car we are listening to "Into the Still Blue" by Veronica Rossi. We are *so* close to the end. I had read one review on this series and the reviewer was happy with how the series ended. That gives me hope since I heard the last divergent book ended not so great.  Still haven't read that one.

This past Friday I picked up "If I Lie" by Corrine Jackson. One word: Wow. If you have any interest in YA novels, get this one. It's a story that I think will stick with me for the rest of my life. I cried through the second half of the story.  I started reading it at 9:30 p.m. and finished it promptly at midnight. There was no way I could put that book down and go to sleep.

The boys are still fighting over the almond flour cookies I've been making.  I think my son has been sneaking them when no one can see him.  So my guy put the cookie container way up high so my son can't sneak them anymore.  I think this is so hilarious thought I'm sure they don't find it nearly as amusing as I do.

After the lovely weather we had last week the weather turned chilly again. Have I mentioned that we are in for another snow storm tomorrow?  Up to a foot of snow by the time it's done. Yup, I get to bring home the baby chicks during a snow storm.  I also need to go to the store and pick up some goodies for my son's Easter basket. 

I was awake last night and saw the beginning of the moon eclipse but I didn't stay up for the whole thing.  No way since I had to work today. 


Daily 5 of things that made me happy today

1. Toast made with homemade bread.

2. I will soon have a project off the needles.

3. My wood stove!  I love my wood stove. 

4. How long the day is getting.

5. Baby chicks tomorrow!









2 comments:

Kelsbels said...

Glad you're back! Sounds like you've been busy with good stuff while you were gone though. :)

Amnicon Studio said...

Yup, pretty busy. :-) It's been a good kind of busy.