Monday, April 21, 2014

What's up? Chicken butt

This morning there was some mild "chaos" in that I woke up to the soft and sweet sounds of baby chicks chirping away.   Then at 5:30 a.m. my son's alarm went off and two seconds later I could hear Buck the little roo start crowing.

We also got our first peek at Elvis' baby. The little one kept popping it's head out from under mama and I got out the smart phone to take a picture and then it disappeared.  The only good photo I got was this on and it shows it's fluffy little butt.


 Four babies have hatched out so far.  There are two grey ones, a black one and a white/yellow one.  Just another day or so for that last one to hatch out. 

Then this afternoon my DH got home before me and let the big girls and Brewster out for some play time.  I went out and tossed them some treats.


It was a very gorgeous day and I'm bummed that it couldn't be enjoyed by everyone.


I tried to get a decent photo of the bigger babies out in the baby coop but the only that shows up is the white one. 


Unfortunately I have more sad news. This evening when I checked on the Americauna chicks and turkeys I noticed one of the chicks was in the corner and there was something wrong with it and you could tell it was in pain so it was euthanized.  I tell ya, even though we had it for only a few days it doesn't make it any better.  I have learned that it doesn't do any good to wait and see if they get better because of all our pullets that got ill last year died and then I felt ten times more horrible for prolonging their misery.

So, it's been a bit of a downer on the evening.

The nice weather during the day turned chilly this evening so a fire was built and that has helped my mood.


Can't feel too low staring at something like this.


Daily 5 of things that made me happy today

1. Seeing Elvis' baby poke it's head out from under her.

2. The warm temps today.

3. Seeing mourning doves in the back yard this evening.

4. My guy building me a fire.

5. Snuggles with my boy. 

2 comments:

Kelsbels said...

So sorry about the loss of the new chick. :(

Love the video of your big girls and boy though...they look great!

Amnicon Studio said...

Thank you for the kind words.

My big Roo is so good at taking care of his ladies.