Saturday, June 28, 2014

I have a new front deck!

Today was a great day for building a front "stoop." Maybe ... the temps ended up higher than anticipated. However, it didn't stop my guy!

At about 7 a.m. he went out and started working.  Once I got some coffee in me and some food I followed and starting clearing out concrete chunks.  Sometime around 8 a.m. he had to pull the jackhammer out again and break up some chunks that were still in the way.


About 9:30 I had to go make my son something to eat.  I came back outside to this.


Not too long after that we got this. I helped a *wee* bit with screwing the deck boards down. 


This was how far along it was before lunch time.  We decided to have lunch in town and pick up some supplies. Unfortunately a trip to town usually takes three hours.  I'm drawing a blank on what time we got back.

Once we got back he put the rest of the posts up and  started working on the risers for the stairs.


You have to really know your math to get the risers just right. Luckily for me, he's wicked smart in that department!


When the stairs were completed I was the first one to use them.  Solid as can be!


After a few hours of work we stopped to eat. Then he went back out to wrap things up and I cleaned up the kitchen.

Then suddenly, it was done!


It looks so purdy!


I think it really dresses up the front of the house. 


Woo hoo! All done! This is a thousand times better than what was there before.  Now everything is perfect!

Meanwhile, my son is still coughing and couldn't help too much with the stoop building so he hung out in the back yard, with the chickens, and read.

He has read more this month than I have.  I'm so proud of him!


The construction and clean up got done just in time.  A storm literally blew in. The sky went dark very quickly and the wind picked up.  The guineas spooked and ran out of their coop.  So then the youngest babies decided it was all right to freak and run out of their coop. I guess storms get Buck's little motor going ... 

The boys came out of the house and we guided all the birds back into their coops.  Then it started raining. I've been hearing rumbling for the last half hour or so.

Daily 5 things of the day that made me happy

1. The front deck is all done and that it all fell into place so quickly.

2. Bug spray!

3.  How good my bed will feel tonite.

4. The little barking sounds the turkeys make.

5. I made time for knitting today.


No comments: