Saturday, April 25, 2020

Another gorgeous day

When we moved out to the county I thought I'd never have to think about planting anything in pots, unless I wanted to plant flowers and make the place look pretty. 

Today we made a trip over to my mother-in-laws, to pick up some pots I used to use years ago, I grabbed a couple other things, but mostly I wanted the pots.  I forgot how many I used to use when I lived in town. 

When we got back home from running errands I filled up the pots and planted ... 


Tomatoes!

The tomato plants I started back in February (?) are finally in a permanent home. They can't stay out overnight just yet, so I'll be hauling them into the garage for nighttime.  I'm crossing my fingers that they will be fine tomorrow next morning.  Night time temperatures are not supposed to get below freezing during the next week. 

My son decided he wanted to clean up the pine needles in the back yard.  He spent several hours raking up pine needles and I helped him dump them in various spots out in the woods. 

A man who used to live down the road would rake up the pine needles in his yard twice a year.  He was retired and it was probably good exercise for him. He had one of the better looking yards that had pine trees in the yard.  We have *huge* pine trees in our yard.  It looks like a park, or something. Until this year we've never had much time or inclination to do this sort of yard work.  Since my son decided on his own to do this I thought I'd support him by helping him out. The back yard is looking a little rough right now. I know it will get back to normal as the spring turns to summer.  The grass has just barely started growing. 

Since we we going to be out in the back yard for the whole afternoon we decided to let the chickens out since they were basically revolting yesterday.  

Yesterday they stood in front of the door and refused to move.  They wanted out and they wanted out NOW. 

Today we opened the door and let them out.  The took their sweet time exiting the coop. Poor Feffer got stepped on by one of the hens. For some reason he was too afraid or nervous to burst through the crowd. Later he was racing around the yard, happy to be a free and wild bun. 

What did my naughty hens and roos do when they realized they could roam the yard?  They immediately picked random spots in all the wrong places to make dirt spas. Very frustrating!



They were happy to be out and about.  We kept a close eye and the area and made sure to make a joyful noise.  There hasn't been any sign of predators, but we are still going to keep the birds mostly secured for however long it may take before we feel comfortable letting them roam, or we catch that fox.

Chicks hatched out today.  They are still hatching out.  We are literally selling them as fast as they hatch.  It's wild. 

Meanwhile this little cutie will be staying with us. 

No comments: