Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Cleaning chicken butts

This morning my son said to me "Did you think you'd grow up to be cleaning chicken butts?"  

Of course not! But it's now one of my many talents.  Hobbies? 

This little one earned itself "spa time." Basically, I had to soak it's little booty because it had pasty butt.  It's a condition where the chicks could spontaneously combust.  Not really, but it's a very serious thing if it isn't taken care of ASAP. 

I actually don't know if it had pasty butt, but there were dingleberries back there and I don't take chances of it building up to become pasty butt. 


They usually protest until they hit the water.  Then they relax until you take them out of the water again and wrap them until until they are dry enough to go back with their flock mates. 


I went out this morning, took a look around.  The plants I left overnight in the greenhouse made it.  By now I shouldn't be surprised, right?  I've been keeping such a close eye on the forecast and being mindful of what the lows are going to be. 

I walked over to my new rain guage, so see we received 2.5 inches of rain yesterday. 


Most of the morning was foggy and cool.  Then early afternoon the sun burst through the clouds.  Buy that time I wasn't feeling like bringing the plants out.  I brought everything out yesterday, thinking the rain would stop in the early afternoon and it stayed rainy and cool all day. 


Things will go out tomorrow. 

I brought out the chicks we are keeping out to the small coop.  The bigger birds didn't know what to make of these smaller creatures invading their space. 


I found it amusing that the older birds were cowering in the corner while the younger chicks were scratching the pine shavings and making themselves at home. 



The other fun thing that happened today was a fresh hatch. Babies!



They seemed like a fast hatch out.  They were alert right away and on their feet. 


There was a nice variety of colors, too. 


They have been pretty quiet, with the exception of the odd baby falling backwards and then sciping for someone to tip them over.




No comments: