Friday, April 10, 2020

Good Friday

Today started out like any other.  I wish I could say that I remembered what today is. I spent most of the day thinking it was Saturday. 

We spent time today cleaning up the last of the oak tree my husband cut down last fall.  Pieces were still frozen to the ground. 

It wasn't the most exciting of days. 

We also moved some rocks from one part of the yard over to under the big chicken coop.  The hens have been scratching earth away from some important areas under the coop.  When I started cleaning out areas of the yard I rediscovered a circle of rocks.  The former owners either had a small rock garden or a small fire pit.  I didn't like where they were and mentioned them to my husband.  He said he knew right where he wanted to put them.  

The hens no longer have their favorite spa area.  I hope they find a different sunny patch in an area that isn't too important. 

Earlier this week, or maybe this weekend, I had cleared an area of the yard that leads to the pond, with the hopes the chickens would do some "landscaping."

Today I tossed some corn over in that area.  It worked! Not as much as I would have liked, it but it is a start. 


Keep up the good work, ladies.  And gents. 


I shared a photo of our alpha roo yesterday.  This is our beta roo.  He's a good boy, too.  He was also hatched out last year, and sold off to a really nice family.  Unfortunately they couldn't have roosters so we got him back.  


You could tell he was used to being around people and handled.


He does his best to take care of the ladies.  Our oldest hen, Pontiac, seems to favor him.


K-2, It's your moment to shine! Strike a pose!


Meanwhile, he's like "What are you doing over there?" 

For the first time, ever I think, we went down to the pond and spent some time. Lots of daydreaming on my part. It's nice to be able to access it. Now that it's cleared a bit, the hens go down a bit too.  


We could hear frogs croaking and there was a pair of birds that spooked and flew off. I'm thinking of how nice it would be to have a bench to sit on down there, but I know that's not very practical. 

This evening I made a trek to the back 20. As I was walking back, lost in thought, a deer ran five feet in front of me and startled me out of my thoughts. It stopped near the jack pines and gave me a good look over before taking off again. It's been a while since I've seen deer back in the woods. Once the snow melted they dispersed.  I wonder if any are bedding down back there. 

This little stinker ... This is a chick we are keeping.  Just about every night it starts chirping up a storm and it doesn't settle down until I snuggle it for a while. It burrows into the collar of my shirt, under my chin or tucked into my neck, and is content for around an hour. 



Photo challenge day 10 - "light"

Light that also gives off heat. Everyone loves a good fire. 

No comments: