Saturday, April 11, 2020

I feel like a "real" gardener now

Today was an exciting day for me.

Why, you might ask? 

Well ... let me tell you. 


My husband bought me a greenhouse. 

Yup.  It's true.  He did!

And today we set it up. 

We put it together and brought it out to the front yard. I orginally thought that would be a great spot for it.  It would be sort of close by in case we needed to run a cord out to it or something.  Then we decided we really wanted it over in the garden area.  So we both went into side it and lifted it up by the shelves and carried it like over. 

Here it is, in all it's glory.



I brought everything out that I have started and set it in there.  I'm fairly confident that everything appreciated being out in the actual sun. I still have to bring everything back in tonite. I had snow storm warning alerts popping up on my phone all day.  Starting sometime tomorrow my area could get anywhere from 0-24 inches of snow. Lovely. 

Let me take you on a quick tour of the inside.

When you walk in and look to the right


And then when you look to the left.


And that's pretty much it. 

Next weekend I think I will start up more seeds.  I can't think of which ones, off the top of my head.  I am also thinking I may start my pea seeds in the garden. I'm trying to follow the recommendation of the Old Farmer's Almanac. The next few weeks could be pretty busy for me.  Not that life hasn't been busy, but now I've got a new element to work with. 

So what else happened today?  Hmmm ... 

Well, this morning one of the chicks earned himself/herself some time at the spa.  That's what I call it when they have poopy butt. 


The chick seemed a little pouty that I was daring to get it's little booty wet. 


It couldn't believe it was sitting in a cup of nice, warm water. 


It was going to give me a piece of it's mind once it woke up from it's nap. 


We did some more stuff out in the yard.  Pine needles and leaf mulch was applied to the raspberries.  


More chicken manure was added to the garden. Not as much as we would have liked because the manure pile were were eyeing was still too fresh.  There were lots of insects in it.  I grabbed some scratch and enticed some of the hens over so the could enjoy the feast.  


It didn't work quite like I thought it would. The rooster came over and tried to take credit for the treats and finding the insects.  The hens weren't paying much attention to him.  Pontiac, our oldest hen, recognized the word "Treat!" and came over as fast as she could. 

Remember when I said that I hoped the hens would find a different spot to take dirt baths?  They did.  

Unfortunately it isn't a good spot, so we will have to think of a permanent solution to keep them out of the spot. 

Right next to the shed, really? 


They managed to clear a LOT in just a few hours. And where does all that dirt go? 



I had the idea that it might be fun to put Thor and Loki out in the garden. For a while they happily played in the garden bed.  Thor ran around, sniffed everything and dug plenty of holes.  Loki checked out a bunch of different spots and ran around everywhere.


Miss Loki, sitting up so she could see better. 


We could tell how happy they were to just run around and around.  After a while Thor just started flopping onto his back. Run around and then flop.  Loki was more dainty about everything.  No digging for her!



My husband had the great idea that we should have an early "dinner" of hot dogs cooked over a fire.  My son and I enjoyed s'mores. 


The funny thing about these s'mores is the marshmallows were pretty stale.  They still tasted pretty good, however. 

So now we have snow to look forward to.  And cooler temps. Boo!

Photo challenge day 11 - "Vacation."  Well, we haven't been on vacation in at least a year.  We do the 'staycations' since we have the chickens. 

Two years ago we spent a lot of time on the Minong Flowage. Picnics on the water are a pretty nice thing. 


If I don't see you tomorrow, have a Blessed Easter, if you celebrate. 

No comments: