Sunday, April 26, 2020

Sunday projects

Today was another day full of outdoor projects.  Projects on the biggish side. 

My son and husband spread out grass seed in the back yard and covered the area with hay.  I think my son had no idea what he was getting into when he decided to start this project. 


Gonna be doing a lot of this during the next month.  The next three days are supposed to have rain. 

While they were seeding and making the back yard beautiful, I was breaking in a new toy. 

The last big purchase we made before the safer-at-home order was a new rototiller. Bigger and better than the previous one. 


I haven't done much of the garden rototilling because the old big machine we had was too unwieldy for me.  

The other rototiller we had was too small for our garden.  I could handle that one just fine, but it just wasn't cutting it. 

Enter this new bad boy. Or girl. Whatever.

I thought it felt like three hours to rototill the garden.  My husband says it was a MUCH shorter time. 



In any case, I'm really pleased with the machine. I'll be running it again at least once. Since I have the time, I'm going to really work the soil and get the amendments in.  

This evening I took a short walk around the property, checking out everything. The cherry trees are starting to bud out. 


This is our first cherry tree.  It was slow going when we first got it.  It rained every time it blossomed out, before the bees had a chance to find it. Not last year, but the few years before that I was hand pollinated the blossoms.  It was worth it. 


Our second cherry tree. We purchased it last summer.  It made it through the winter. Yay!



Baby iceberg. Seedlings grew quite a bit in the last couple of days. 


Baby cabbage. 


Baby lettuces, basil and broccoli.


I think this is buttercrunch. 


Baby basil. 


Some of the various pepper plants, in my greenhouse. I'm still hauling everything in overnight. It will be worth it, I keep telling myself. 


Black seeded simpson lettuce. 


Lavendar and columbines.


I am pleased and very happy to share that the tomato plants survived the night in the garage. When I woke up at 6 a.m. the temperature was just below freezing. 



I look forward to the time I won't have to haul these pots back and forth.  In the meantime I have my trusty red flyer wagon to help me.


I have had this wagon for at *least* 20 years. It was given to me by my husband for a birthday gift. It's original job was to help me move pots around in my container garden, back when I was a city gal. I can't tell you how many containers I had. I was always moving them around and changing things up.  I think people used to start walking by my house just so they could see everything.  Not kidding even a little bit.  People used to stop and tell me how much they enjoyed seeing everything. 

Yesterday I logged in more than 16,000 steps.  I was so tired at the end of the day. I was actually falling asleep while I was writing and proofreading last night's blog entry.  I went to bed early, too. 

Today I've logged in almost 14,000 steps. My feet are SORE. If it rains, like it's supposed to, I should have no problem recuperating the next day or two. 

No comments: