Sunday, March 9, 2014

I did not conquer my mountain today

 Today was daylight savings.  I greatly dislike this day.  My alarm went off at "6 a.m." but it was really 5 a.m. (old time)  I stayed in bed and BOOM it was 8 a.m.  

The weather didn't start out so great but it got pretty nice later in the day. We hit a high in the 40s degree F.  Yes, you read that right -- the 40s. Nice!

Yesterday we put the bird feeders up again and they were discovered pretty quickly by the chickadees. Today I spotted a Blue Jay out there and a woodpecker.

These guys were waiting their turn at the feeders. 

I was pleased to see a woodpecker at the feeder. 

 We did cut, split and stack some wood today. But I felt like being productive in some other way today so I went out the mailbox and tried to shovel out around it so the poor mail person doesn't have to lean way out to deliver the mail.

When I walked around the house I realized that the ladder going up to the roof is pretty stable from being buried in the snow. Those close to me know my issues with heights ... and ladders.  I climbed up that ladder no problem because it felt SO stable.  I thought "Hey, I can do this.  I can totally shovel off the roof of the house." 

Yeah ... I was able to get to the top of the ladder. Getting off the ladder was a whole other thing. I'm guessing it probably took my guy 15 minutes of encouraging before I finally got off the ladder.  Suffice to say, I barely made it around to the other side of the roof and was too nervous, aka chicken, to do any actual shoveling because it the snow turned to ice bits up there. 

At one point I had DH to take my picture up there because I highly doubt when I will be going up there again any time soon. But, at least I tried. Right?

Roof, you won today ...
 Interestingly enough it only took five minutes for me to get on the ladder ... 

So I went and shoveled a bunch of snow off the chicken run. Snow is almost up to my hips out there and no where to actually throw the snow. Yup. DH finished that off for me too.  He's a keeper.

 We made another run to Menard's late in the afternoon and by the time we got back it was 5:30 p.m.

Since I didn't share any pictures of the babies last night I snapped a few tonight to share.

In this photo I think you can see how awkward and gawky the gray one looks.  That's Grandma P's baby.

I'm really impressed with how this one's color is turning out. 

The crest on the black one can be seen.  It's a decent size. I still think this one is a roo. 

Tomorrow is the first day of vacation. I still have no clue about what I'm going to do that's "fun." I think I will take tomorrow and just hang around the house and get some stuff caught up on.  

Daily 5 of things that made me happy today

1. My slow cooker.  We decided to have spaghetti for supper and I dumped the sauce in the slow cooker, doctored it up and let it cook all day. 

2. Those wonderful 40 degree temps today.  SO nice. 

3. Some knitting did happen today.  Not enough to show progress however. 

4.  The babies are healthy and thriving

5. I got all the clocks changed.

1 comment:

Kelsbels said...

The chicks are getting so big!

I still have to change all my clocks. It was a very weird day yesterday.