Friday, March 28, 2014

Snow, why won't you stay away

Yesterday we got more snow and ice. Not a good combo.  I ended up leaving work early yesterday so I wouldn't have to deal with rush hour traffic and slippery roads.


This was in town.  Driving out on the highway there was near white out conditions at times.  I don't think I traveled more than 45 mph and even then I felt the car wanting to go sliding all over the place.  Picked my son up at the school early and went straight home.  Course, on one of the back roads my car went into a slide.  Thankfully my car has the anti-skid whatchamacallit and I straightened out pretty quick.

Since I got home early I decided to use my "free time" to wash some two-ply handspun that I had.   While that was soaking I two-plied two one ounce bobbins together.


It doesn't look like a two-ply.  I think that's because it was spun long draw so it's a worsted yarn.

Some of the two-ply that is dry.  It's so soft and squishy.  I'm not sure what my final yardage will be.  I have one pound of this BFL and I know it's not enough for a sweater.  Perhaps a shawl?


 I use Ivory dish soap to wash my fiber and hand wash items.  There is something about the combo of wet wool and the dish soap that makes me happy.  I know I can't be alone on this. 

This morning there was no more snow falling from the sky. It did take me 20 minutes for all the ice to thaw off my windshield though.


Blurry shot from my kitchen window. 

The day was bright and the temps were up in the mid-30s so all the crud that fell yesterday melted.  Not before it had to be shoveled.  My area has officially had more than 100 inches of snow fall for the season. There is more set to come our way starting Sunday afternoon.  We are all thrilled by this news, naturally.  (no, we aren't).

My guy and I decided to try making supper in the wood stove tonite.  


In foil packets we have hamburger, potatoes, carrots and onions.  I didn't keep track of how long the double-wrapped foil packs were actually in there.  I can say with absolute certainty that it was worth the wait.

Yum!

Otherwise, nothing terribly interesting going on these last couple days.  I am getting tired of the snow. It has reached the point where it feels like it's never going to go away.  Tomorrow is supposed to have nice weather.  Would make it easier to do chores tomorrow.  We've got more wood splitting to do and I have to do some housework in the coop.


Daily 5 of things that made me happy today

1. Talking books with a friend today.  We chatted about how good the Divergent movie looks as well.  I'm sort of tempted to either re-read or re-listen to the audio book.  I won't see the movie til it comes out on DVD however.

2. Hobo's cooked in the woodstove. Delicious!

3.  Taking some time for myself tonite and listening to music and reading a bit. 

4. The smell of wool and Ivory dishsoap together

5. My wood stove.








No comments: