Monday, March 24, 2014

The winter that keeps on hanging on

Honestly, will this winter ever end?

Woke up this morning and was shocked to see the temp was -13 degrees F out. Really?  It's the end of March and we are still having negative temperatures.

It warmed up.  When I left for home it was 30 degrees F.

More snow has been predicted for later this week, up to eight inches.

*insert a whole lot of naughty words here*

Yesterday when the sun was shining it hit me that in about three weeks I should be starting seeds indoors.

I have also reminded myself that if I think the winter is hard and dragging on too long, it's far worse for the wild critters.


This little guy has been hanging around the house.  I'm pretty sure it's the same woodpecker that flew into my window last weekend -- and the same one that flew into my garage Saturday, panicked, then flew into a different window.  When we were splitting wood we had one log that had been an ant colony (or whatever you want to call it) but the colony was dead.  We pitched all the ants out into the snow and this industrious bird has been rooting around in the saw dust and gobbling up the ants.  We now know that if we find logs that have colonies, to set the wood outside for a few days and the ants will be gone.

In other news, I've got three empty cans for my herb seeds. My guy also ordered me a dutch oven tonite.  I'm pretty excited about that.  It's been an adventure learning to cook with cast iron.  I've finally got the seasoning thing down.  I now need to figure out how to keep it going.  I also haven't decided if it's better to use grape seed oil or shortening when I re-grease the skillet I have.

I haven't posted about the babies or the big girls and Roo for a while.  They are all doing good.  I'm still amazed at how quickly my babies grew.  My little boy roo still crows in the a.m.  His crow has changed a bit. I think he's going to give his papa a run for his money when the time comes.


Daily 5 of things that made me happy today

1. I'm getting a dutch oven!

2. Chili for supper.  Oh it was so Yummy.

3.My son *finally* got his minecraft book.  Seriously, this has been a saga, but it's here!  He's already been chattering at me about it.

4. Cheese.  Oh cheese is good!

5. Tomorrow I am going to go pick up a new office chair for myself. 




1 comment:

Kelsbels said...

YAY to finally getting that book!