Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Adventures and reclaiming yarn

 We got our smattering of snow overnight. 


Total was maybe an inch. 

It made a nice back drop for the Christmas tree. 


This morning, before work, I was scrolling a bit on Facebook and saw something that got the wheels churning and I did an online search for convertible mittens. 

I found a video that is a modification to the Tin Can Knits mitten I just made.  Hooray! 

Then I had an even better idea! 

Several years ago I knit some Mosey leg warmers. I hated them from the moment I finished them. So they've been put away until now. 


I decided to unravel the yarn. Reclaim it, and knit it into some convertible mittens. 

Great idea, right? Sounds easy, right? 

*sigh*

I learned that I'm *way* too good at weaving in my ends. 

This is what I thought was the end, after about five minutes of searching.


It was not. 

I gave up and snipped the yarn. That didn't work so well. 

I wound up with a hole. 


I kept undoing the yarn and pulling it out of loop after loop. 

Eventually I wound up with this thing. 


Honestly, no idea what was going on with it, so I cut it off. Then kept undoing the yarn.  Loop by loop. Twist by twist. 

Eventually I got it to where I could just unravel the yarn. 


One leg warmer is all skeined up.  I just now realized I forgot to take a photo. 

Here's my little pile of short yarns. 


I'm working on the second legwarmer.  I found the end on this one and I'm slowly, agonizingly, undoing it, in the hopes I don't have the mess I did with the first one. 

This evening my hubby and I went out on a little adventure. 

Tromping out in the wilderness and being amazed at how beautiful the night time sky was.  We were hoping to see northern lights in all their glory.  There was clouds. So many stupid clouds. 

Photos were still cool. 










It was a lot of fun. 

After supper and clean up I sat down and started working on the next ornament. 


Bet you can't guess what it is! 

1 comment:

Becky G said...

I love your snow pictures. Down here, an inch of snow is apocalyptic levels and always leads to fights over milk and bread down at the local Walmart.

It would be so cool to see the Northern Lights, but I'm way too far South. I enjoyed seeing your photos, though.